coconut expandable sustrate ok for nympths?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asiandude

Reaction score
I saw this expandable coconut fiber substrate at petco and I was wondering if it was ok for chinese mantis nympths and/or good for chinese mantis adults? and if this doesnt work what should I use for bedding for chinese mantis nympths?

I use paper towel for most of the vials I keep my younger mantids in. I do use the coconut fiber almost exclusively for my larger mantids, however. It really holds the humidity in the cage which is so important during that final molt. It also make a more attractive substrate than paper towel. Though it is very mold resistant, any small pieces of cricket or other feeder insect that fall onto it will mold quickly. Good ventilation will increase the time things take to mold, but noticeable bits of feeder insect should be pulled out fairly soon.

It works but is kind of messy. I use the spaghnum moss that comes in a brick.

Sphagnum moss is the "green" stuff that most people think of when they hear the word moss. It should also be available at Petco. Your local garden store would be your best bet. They'll have a large bag for a very reasonable price.

Peter

where can I get this moss? other than online (credit card is messed up right now)

Sphagnum is the stuff that gardeners use to line hanging baskets. Most garden centres stock it. Also, I think loads of people suffer with this stuff in their lawns (not me 'cos I dig out the lawn as soon as I move into a house :lol: ).

There are two kinds. The overpriced green stuff at pet stores or the stuff they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot that is very light in color and marketed as Orchid Moss. THe brick costs a few dollars and lasts me quite a while.

There are two kinds. The overpriced green stuff at pet stores or the stuff they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot that is very light in color and marketed as Orchid Moss. THe brick costs a few dollars and lasts me quite a while.
is this moss good for nymphs? and if it is won't fruit flies be hard to find in this moss for the nymphs?

is this moss good for nymphs? and if it is won't fruit flies be hard to find in this moss for the nymphs?
I use it for everybody. Fruit flies don't hide down in the substrate. They climb up the sides and towards the top. You only have to make a thin covering on the bottom.

Latest posts