Color change

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oak

Reaction score
I have heard people say that spiny flower mantis can change color depending on what color their surroundings are made of. Is this true?

my ghosts went a little darker and 1 red since their last molt in humid environment (70%) so I guess it's possible...

Last edited by a moderator:
This idea/topic has been brought up and discussed across many forums and breeders. From my personal husbandry experience and reading discussions (similar to what happy1892 posted) it is predominantly environmental. While genetics may play a role, the environment plays a bigger role.

However when you ask "...can change color..." it is understood that a mantis can't really change color (like the immediate color change in chameleons or Cephalopods). However, usually the only time a mantis changes color is gradually over time  (over several molts) but in some species a few days after their latest molt, which is most predominant after their final molt, like in orchid mantids, Hymenopus coronatus or giant devil's flower mantids, Idolomantis diabolica the color change can seem more immediate. 

In summation, yes it is possible for some species' of mantids to change color based on their environmental conditions/surroundings. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Here's my experience with flower mimics:

Hymenopus and Pseudocreobotra on pink flowers with indoor lighting all ended up white. Outside during the summer months on pink flowers in the garden in natural light the majority turned pink-ish the next molt.

Latest posts