communal ghost mantis setup?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cordero

Reaction score
I just ordered three L2 ghost nymphs I was wonder how communal these little guys are. Should I even risk keeping them together and if so what's the best way to keep them from munching on each other? I could use some advice I'm fairly new to the hobby.

Thanks,

Cordero

when i had ghost mantises i kept the in a big net case together and each one made it to adult without any problems.

i tried that to but keep and eye on them one of them love eating the rest. if you start to see some mysteriously disappeared you know it is time to separate them :devil:

Well I would always recommend starting with a more beginner species, since I believe P. Paradoxa is not much of a beginner mantid. But make sure there is lots of food for them and enough space.

-Cole

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I would always recommend starting with a more beginner species, since I believe P. Paradoxa is not much of a beginner mantid. But make sure there is lots of food for them and enough space.

-Cole
They are one of the easiest species to keep...

I have mantids right now but I'm still new but not that new to the hobby. And everything I've been reading said they are a great starter species.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Search Pretzel jar mod in housing and enclosure , I keep 3 L6 ghost females in it. It's about 5"x5"x9", I have it on it's side and I can stand it up for more vertical space. They are easy to keep at room temperature, be prepared to wait for later instars my ghosts took two months to molt from L5 to L6, so I'm expecting them to mature in about 5 months. Good luck with your ghosts.

I have 3 L3s and I have mine seperated in mods because I'm scared to death that I'll lose one. I have them next to eachother so they can still socialize though. Lol.

Search Pretzel jar mod in housing and enclosure , I keep 3 L6 ghost females in it. It's about 5"x5"x9", I have it on it's side and I can stand it up for more vertical space. They are easy to keep at room temperature, be prepared to wait for later instars my ghosts took two months to molt from L5 to L6, so I'm expecting them to mature in about 5 months. Good luck with your ghosts.
Okay I'll look into it. I think I'll be able to keep the let guys happy.

Ghosts are super easy. My rule of thumb with keeping mantises communally is if you are going to be sad if you loose mantises to cannibalism, than don't do it. Even under the best conditions with the most docile species, it can happen. Typically if you offer this species plenty of room and food they will do pretty good together. Just watch out if any of the nymphs end up too far ahead or behind its siblings when it comes to size.

you can do communal with enough food and room but if you only have 3 its a wasted of space cause they will do great in a smaller vented insect cup (deli cup with vented lid)

They will also find there food easier.

I do have lots of vented 32oz deli cups to use if things go bad. But I also have a 8x8x10 container I was just going to put all three of them in.

The trick to keeping ghosts communally is that you have to make sure there are several horizontal surfaces at different levels. In a curved pretzel jar, all the ghosts will eventually end up at the top of the curve, or the top of the jar. Insert some plastic levels separated by a couple inches and you will find that the ghosts will eventually separate themselves to somewhere they are comfortable.

Latest posts