Communal Mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if i were to get some ghosties or violin mantids, how many could i fit into a 12x12x16 comfortably?

Last edited by a moderator:
not many being alot of people say you need very large enclosures mostly screen for those types of insects being they are not designed for non screen cages or as such and there is alot more to it then that to raise those species but I am not skilled at that and have no desire to raise those kinds which would require like a manual so to speak on exactly the dos and donts of raising these species flawlessly!

i would say like 2-4 brunners, 4-6 violins, 6-10 ghosts, 10-30 miomantis, 30-50 boxers.

Im sure people have better numbers though.

[SIZE=14pt]well you can add Sibylla pretiosa to the list they live well in a 12"x12"x12" exo terra cube thats planted, they are cute little but wavers that dance around inside there house, unlike all the upside down mantids that just hang upside down most of the time.[/SIZE]

Massaman, I use a nylon mesh small enough to hold D. melanogaster. Thank-you ArkBlue for the contribution, and thanks Doug and Hibiscus for the numbers. I'm thinking about ghost mantids or cryptic mantids. Gotta do some more research :p

Violin mantis nymphs. Yeah, traded alot to get them and i got 2 adults that where falling apart when i got them(i was told they where fresh adults)

Sybilla pretosia can be kept together when young, but at L4 and up, I reccomend separating them.

As for how many gongylus in a 12x12x16 cage, it depends on their age. I would say 3-4 adult females max in that size of a cage. Of course, smaller nymphs means you can keep much more in there.

Oh, Empusa, pennata, Schizocephala, bicornis and the deroplatys can be kept together (I do).

Hello,

I've recently built some pretty nice 12x12x16 mantis enclosures, and I'd really like to get some communal mantids. I'm wondering what mantids can be kept in the same enclosure.

UPDATED List:

Creobroter sp.

Egyptian Mantis

Long Neck mantis

Boxers sp.

Gambian Spotted Eye

Ghost Mantis

Violin Mantis

Cryptic Mantis

Brunner's Mantis

Can be kept communally.

Thanks.