Complete Newbie here, Hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane95

Reaction score
Hello from Ireland!

I seen this video yesterday

and was intrigued about keeping a praying mantis for a pet so I decided to look into it a bit more and then I spent the entire night watching videos and looking at pics :) I love the idea of having pets that can live in my room (currently have a bearded dragon) and I'm really excited about getting into this cool little hobby!

I'm a complete newbie so I will probably have a ton of questions for you guys.

I'm probably not supposed to ask a question in this forum section but I was wondering would this be a suitable enclose for an adult mantid

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00025YVUI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YWXTS3TX2RNHN61ZDHD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Dimensions: 36.8 x 22.1 x 24.4 cm

Thank you!

Welcome.

That enclosure will work for an adult.

Whatever you do, if you are going to feed it a cricket or grasshopper and the mantis runs away from it take the cricket out. The mantis is running away becuase it is going to molt and grow bigger, and I learned this the hard way when the cricket ate my first mantis alive 4 years ago... :( . Thankfully, her death was not in vain and I squashed that cricket!!!!!!

Whatever you do, if you are going to feed it a cricket or grasshopper and the mantis runs away from it take the cricket out. The mantis is running away becuase it is going to molt and grow bigger, and I learned this the hard way when the cricket ate my first mantis alive 4 years ago... :( . Thankfully, her death was not in vain and I squashed that cricket!!!!!!
I will keep this in mind!

I have to say... You have a good idea... but I wanted to watch more grow up at the same time.. and learn the differences in them.. but I guess my OCD doesn't help me much either.. must see MORE mantis...LOL

All I can say is good luck with your new addiction and welcome into the den of addicts :p

I remember when I googled a picture of an orchid mantis somehow, and have been hopelessly hooked every since hehe.

I also remember taking my pet mantis to the pet store once. A bearded dragon saw her through the glass and was running at her as hard as he could to try and get her, it was awfully funny.

Latest posts