Constipated Mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgerndt

Reaction score
Several weeks ago, I received some pre sub adult stagmomantis limabatas. One of the my females came in nice and plump and healthy looking, and ate and drank readily. But she got so round, I decided she really didn't need to keep eating. So I haven't given her any food. And she's still just as round as when I got her. I see some droppings, but not as much as I would expect. I mist her daily, and she drinks. What should I do?

Def keep offering water. I would offer honey, and maybe offer food just acouple times a week until you see what is going on with the frass. She is still sub adult?

She is actually pre sub adult. Her brother molted into sub adult about a week ago.

I will try to offer her some honey. I'm afraid to feed her too much. She looks like she might burst.

Hmm... My advice would be to keep offering water. Give her a bit of food every day, so she doesn't starve. Offer a bit of honey.

Keep an eye on her, and let us know how she does. :) Good luck!

It looks like she is leaking some sort of fluid. That wasn't happening before.

IMAG0227-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a rectal prolapse or similar. Never seen it in a mantis before.

She also looks close to molting. I would just give her water and hope she fixes her butt when she molts.

She doesn't seem really fat to me. What color is the fluid she is leaking? Is she still doing any regular black poops ?

How long has her rectum been sticking out of her body, or was she trying to defecate when the photos were taken?

It really is the only thing that appears wrong with her that I can see.

But she has been this size for more than a week, without any food. Just water. The fluid is a pale tan color, about the color of cricket guts. This is the first time I've seen the fluid. She's been having some normal poops, but very rarely, and very little.

I think that you can only do what you were doing and wait to see if she fixes her problem with a molt. Looks as if she will molt soon, very soon. Maybe she is close enough to molting that she is not hungry anyway. If her rectum is exposed as in the photos and doesn't go back in, there definitely is a problem. It might turn out ok anyway. Who knows? It shouldn't be long.

You seem to be doing the right thing as you are not putting a whole lot of food into a mantis who is having trouble defecating.

Unfortunately, wait and see, is the only thing I can advise unless you want to experiment, which could be dangerous.

I just looked at the bum pic close up and I think Agent A had one just like that.

Maybe write him and ask him to look.

Also I would just PM Orin and get him to look at it if you're super worried.

Thanks, everybody, for your replies. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and hope for the best. I'll keep you updated.

Mantises don't tend to shrink back down to super thin once they plump up like that. Even if you don't feed her she isn't going to appear to loose much mass. You have to remember she is also forming new skin beneath there and getting ready for her final molt. The reason almost no poo is appearing now is because you aren't feeding her. She has already passed pretty much everything that was in her gut and is now working on reserves. I wouldn't starve her. I would offer small meals every other day like normal and provide water daily.

Latest posts