Convenient Feeders?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdsdf

Coolest Member
Reaction score
Doed anyone know a odorless, and fast producing culture-like-bug to use as food? It should be at least bigger than a fly, though not too big.( Don't be sarcastic..... ......) Fruit flies are good, but are too small. Flies, well, they stink! Crickets stink as well, and all the types of caterpillars/worms take a long time to reproduce. Does anyone know one that you can keep easily, doesn't smell too bad, and reproduces quickly?

....... ......... thanks :( ..... ....... that really helped..... ...... ......... .... ..... ........ you know, im not playing around...... ...... ....... :?

My fly cultures really stink after awhile, but you have to have them for the nymphs. I don't raise crix because they smell so awful, I get them from the pet store. I think I'm going to try the blueblottle flies from Grubco. There are posts about putting the larvae in the fridge and taking them out to putpate and then feed. My Chinese loves anything that flies so I'm going to give it a try.

can't bear the thought! I have to get past my inclination to scream when I see them.
Totally agree with you!(except the screaming part) Uhhhh....what if they got loose in the house or something? Uhhhhh.... :?

And also, precious, I finally got my Nigerians today!!!! :) They are tiny, even at L2/3. How are yours?

They are so cute. They remind me of cartoon poodles - strutting around with their abdomens curled. I use a magnifying glass to watch them stalk the flies. They're very cool, I hope your fair well!

Probably, but the smell would knock you ouTTT! They don't want to eat taters and applesauce. They want to eat dead or stinky stuff. Like rotton potatoes.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........Flies stink like mad, I know(If I do raise them, I'll probably put them outside).....but my mantids need them! I have smaller, flower mantids and there main diet may be flies. That's why I want a partly oderless feeder food that I can feed them, instead of stinky ol flies.

The blue bottle flys from grubco work great and are easy, but my last couple of orders did not turn to flys well(perhaps the summer heat during shipping?)

Shipping from Grubco to CA is very expensive, around $12. Maybe someone can see if they'll waive the shipping fee if you send a shipping label to them. :p

The blue bottle flys from grubco work great and are easy, but my last couple of orders did not turn to flys well(perhaps the summer heat during shipping?)
I was going to order larvae from Grubco but they only have bluebottles, not the smaller house fly so I ordered pupae from Spider Pharm. What mantids are you feeding bluebottles? I have L6 Unicorns that I thought would fair better with flying insects, but they seem to be a bit timid (as opposed to my Chinese). Do you think bluebottles are too big?

Latest posts