CosbyArt mantid thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool!
Thanks I am excited at the hatches too. :D

Awww.....so cute!
Yeah but they grow up to be large mantids. ;) I was thinking of my dad responding NO and his phrase about not having another pet dog when I was a kid, as everyone likes the babies. :)

I have to agree even my family members that are not keen on my "bugs" enjoy the cute little baby nymphs. :D

Congrats on the brunners ooth hatch. Its been a long while since I've seen any on the forum. Wish you the best with them thomas
Thanks, they have to be my favorite thing I've done in the hobby so far. :D Yeah I don't see much about Brunner's usually either, but I've heard some tend to keep them (although not necessarily post about them). Thanks, I hope to be able to keep them going, and pass some around in the hobby. They would be a great exotic species and is a native alternative. :)

I transferred my three Brunner's mantis (Brunneria borealis) nymphs to their own cups today/tonight - still no new hatches though since 3-31-16. They have been doing fine with the Melanogaster flies, if not a bit afraid of them, as when I add in Melanogaster flies the Brunner's run off the lid to the substrate or limb to hide.

I took the time to handle them a bit and get some photos. As mentioned before I named them Dolly, Bonny, and Sally. :) I have uploaded two photos of each Dolly and Bonny, and with Sally I did three as I captured her opening her mouth and then cleaning. ;)

Here is Dolly...
brunner-4-4-16-dolly1.jpg

brunner-4-4-16-dolly2.jpg

This is Bonny...
brunner-4-4-16-bonny1.jpg

brunner-4-4-16-bonny2.jpg

and Sally...
brunner-4-4-16-sally1.jpg

brunner-4-4-16-sally2.jpg

brunner-4-4-16-sally3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the names!
Thanks. I kinda cheated there didn't I, but I thought it was fitting. :D As I just used Dolly's offspring for additional names; although, there are only four more names before I have to come up with something else (maybe the Minion's clone names, but they are all boys and my nymphs are all girls). ;)

I had one more Brunner's mantis nymph hatch this morning, which I named Rosie. While transferring the nymph to a habitat I noticed 2 of my 3 ooths have hatch the nymphs so far, which great as I have two good ooths at least. :D

Here is the newest little nymph...

brunner-4-6-16-rosie.jpg

My first ooths of the year have hatched. So far two Chinese mantis ooths (Tenodera sinensis) started hatching just before midnight, so I've been dealing with them the last few hours (otherwise I'd be in bed as I have to be up in a few hours for Easter dinner and such). It was nice though seeing some tiny baby nymphs :D

I didn't bother to count all of them in the container itself - but the last photo (inside the container of the bottom corner) has 46 nymphs, and the entire 5 gallon container is crawling with them. ;)

Thats awesome! Theyre everywhere!

I transferred my three Brunner's mantis (Brunneria borealis) nymphs to their own cups today/tonight - still no new hatches though since 3-31-16. They have been doing fine with the Melanogaster flies, if not a bit afraid of them, as when I add in Melanogaster flies the Brunner's run off the lid to the substrate or limb to hide.

I took the time to handle them a bit and get some photos. As mentioned before I named them Dolly, Bonny, and Sally. :) I have uploaded two photos of each Dolly and Bonny, and with Sally I did three as I captured her opening her mouth and then cleaning. ;)

Here is Dolly...

Oh they sure are cute! Great pics!

Thanks, yeah there are a lot of little nymphs running around. So far the Brunner's are doing great, and had one more nymph hatch today (they are really slow). The Chinese nymphs have been thinning out and getting larger (not sure if they have started to molt or not, hard to tell as they are so tiny). :)
Awesome!

Haha they sure are!

Well my nymphs have been making progress.

Sadly though I lost one of my Brunner's nymphs, little Dolly (she aged 10 days). I have been feeding them Melanogaster flies like my other nymphs; however, I never did not witness a Brunner feed on a FF. With her death I begin adding in springtails as well for their prey just in case, and I witnessed one of the Brunner's eat two springtails rather quickly. So it seems springtails are needed with them, so I have been adding them in at feeding time just as I would FF.

Also my Chinese nymphs have molted to L2 as well. Luckily I was able to find one of the old L1 exuviae, and took a close-up of that as well in the photo below. :)

View attachment 7342

I had one more Brunner's mantis nymphs hatch on Sunday morning. It only took her 186 days (6 months, 4 days) to say hello since I got her ooth delivered. ;) She is really energetic and was really dancing around, and seemed to be quite happy to get her springtails too.

Here is a shot of her I took, not bad with a cheap point-and-click camera (as you can even see her clawed feet on the end of her tarsus).

brunner-4-10-16-lucy.jpg

Sorry you lost one of your Brunners. :(  But at least you seem to have figured out the problem, so hopefully you will not lose anymore! :)

Sorry you lost one of your Brunners. :(  But at least you seem to have figured out the problem, so hopefully you will not lose anymore! :)
Thanks - I was too, still not sure what happened (perhaps a birthing defect). Yeah I give them springtails which they eagerly eat (still want to get a photo of that), but I still give them a couple Melanogasters FF each too. They seem to be very skittish nymphs, so the springtails solved the eating issue as they are so small.

Tonight though I got a few photos of my nymph Rosie eating a Melanogaster - it caught me by surprise as it was the first time I saw any of my Brunner's nymphs eat one. :D She was near the cup edge so it made for lousy photos, but at least it is clearly a Melanogaster.

Also, I had another Brunner's mantis nymph hatch Tuesday morning, she was named Darcy. So I am up to 5 nymphs, and one great thing is she hatched from my 3rd Brunner's ooth, so all three of my ooths are good and hatching. Hopefully though they will hatch a bit faster, than just one at a time every few days. ;)

Here is my newest Darcy...
brunner-4-12-16-darcy.jpg

Rosie and her first Melanogaster FF...
brunner-4-13-16-rosie1.jpg

brunner-4-13-16-rosie2.jpg

Nice stuff mate :) The brunners nymphs I hatched a few years back were way more aggressive than yours are. Mine would take hydei surprisingly.

Nice stuff mate :) The brunners nymphs I hatched a few years back were way more aggressive than yours are. Mine would take hydei surprisingly.
Thanks. Yeah they appear to be skittish, and when a Melanogaster flies or lands nearby the Brunner's nymphs they usually jump or fall to their substrate below. :)

That is amazing yours took Hydei at L1. Mine in their current rate, I'll be lucky if they take Hydei at L3 :D

Woah, the brunners I had were too skittish for hydei as hatchlings. They did take mels though.

Latest posts