Crab Spider eats Sweat Bee

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
I don't know what species of crab spider this is but I found it out back on the raspberry bush munching a sweat bee. The sweat bees, as well as other bees and wasps, are very active on the bush so it is a perfect hunting ground.

Never really saw a crab spider before so I had to get some pics. The eyes on this thing are pretty crazy...

Crab_2378-sm.jpg

Crab_2384-sm.jpg

Crab_2394-sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's a little behind the scenes of how I creating a good macro shot...

Some are actually composed of multiple shots. I manually combine the focused portions of 2 or more photos like these...

Demo1.jpg

Demo2.jpg

Demo3.jpg

Into a single image...

Demo4.jpg

Then make adjustments to bring out all the details and color...

Demo5.jpg

Then crop if necessary and add watermark. ;)

Gee, all I seem to get on my raspberry bushes are those darn Japenese beetles. Heard they came from the east! They are horrible this year. Anyway, that's a cool spider. I don't think I've seen one before. I've never had luck stacking insect images because they move too much.

Gee, all I seem to get on my raspberry bushes are those darn Japenese beetles. Heard they came from the east! They are horrible this year. Anyway, that's a cool spider. I don't think I've seen one before. I've never had luck stacking insect images because they move too much.
We get all kinds of cool bugs on those raspberry bushes. I take a lot of pics on them. Oddly enough, I haven't seen any Japanese beetles this year. They usually do hit the raspberry bushes.

I have pretty good luck stacking but I'm very handy in Photoshop. Do you use the auto-align feature? Very useful.

I saw one of those spiders yesterday, it was huge and aggressive and so I decided to leave it well alone

as for the japaneese beetles, they are eating my grapevine and causing huge problems <_<

Yeah, we have lots of those flower crab spiders in our bushes. One species of these spiders can actually change color between white and yellow. And yeah, those Japanese flower beetles have been pretty bad this year. <_< But it HAS been a really good year for hummingbird clearwings and tiger swallowtails. :)

Excellant pics there.

Japanese beetles have been extremely scarce around here. I think I've seen one all summer.

Last edited by a moderator: