Crane fly eggs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try the underside of leaves, or reeds that are partly submerged..

Maybe its a kinda of survival reaction, if they ar going to die they can try to save thier young by releasing them..or maybe it just dropped the eggs..?

Hi, Craneflies are usually a seasonal insect, the eggs hatch, usually underground where the larva feeds on roots until large enough to pupate, the adults are usually seen late in the season resting during the day and flying about at night. They have a limited life span as adults [they have no mouth parts and cannot feed] but it is long enough for them to mate and restart the cycle. They cannot bite or sting, the females have a sharp looking ovipositor which is used for reaching as far into the ground as possible for egg laying only. I have never tryed to culture them as i have a large lawn, late in the year i get hundreds of them and use them only as a seasonal alternative to cultured live foods.

Their gangly legs and erratic flight seem to make them irrisistable to other insectivores.

cheers

Yup craneflys lay eggs in the ground not water, I have personally witnessed them laying.The larvae are referred to as leatherjackets and feed on roots.If you are diging and find what looks like a large maggot that it greenish brown thats one.

Latest posts