Crazy Eater

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PyroCinnamon

Reaction score
My L2 Spiny Flower Nymph is a absolutely insane eater! Yesterday she ate 9 fruit flies from my culture. Can mantises over eat? I figured I'd stop feeding her when she didn't eat anymore. But she just keeps eating and won't stop. I woke up to her container littered with feces (around 25 pellets). Is it normal for them to eat that much? I got her 2 days ago and her size has increased by at least 30%.

@PyroCinnamon Nearly all mantis species will overeat if given the chance to do so, and is only problematic typically in adults (as a fall from a few inches is enough to burst their abdomen and cause other usually fatal damage).

Unless her abdomen swells like a highly over-inflated balloon I wouldn't worry, it is good for nymphs and helps them mature faster too. :) Personally I give my nymphs enough fruit flies that won't bother the nymphs, but are more than they could eat.

@PyroCinnamon Nearly all mantis species will overeat if given the chance to do so, and is only problematic typically in adults (as a fall from a few inches is enough to burst their abdomen and cause other usually fatal damage).

Unless her abdomen swells like a highly over-inflated balloon I wouldn't worry, it is good for nymphs and helps them mature faster too. :) Personally I give my nymphs enough fruit flies that won't bother the nymphs, but are more than they could eat.
You are so gosh darn helpful! You are like the super hero of this forum!