Creased Abdomen

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
My subadult male chinese arrived with a creased abdomen due to the shape he was in during transit. I am wondering whether this will affect his upcoming molt, since his buds are swollen. I am supplying him with plenty of moisture and a good footing surface for "the flip".

I would imagine the severity is an important factor, can you take some pictures? What cause him to be in such an odd position for shipping? Something you should contact the seller about?

Many chinese mantids have this problem. I have had some die and others live though most tend to not do well. It will not effect his moult but it may kill him by messing up internal organs.

Sorry to say, but creases are never good...most mantids either die from having a crease like Will said abt the internal organs or they don't molt successfully...but if your there when he molts, and see him struggling, he could use some help...

Yeah, through some reason I am not able to post pics. The crease is just below the lower wingbuds, and it appears as a greyish streak across the abdomen. Hopefully he'll come through.

This seems quite common in those. I wonder if it has been observed in any other species. It usually does not end well.

Have there been any cases with mantises recovering from such a situation?

I believe that such cases could be common, with how much room is required to house this species. Too short a container's width and this occurs.

I have also seen it happen a few times in that species.

You may be able to improve his chances if you don't let him hang from a horizontal lid or feed him too much. Maybe it can work, maybe not?

Is it possible to put him in a container that has an angled top, or modify one that way?

I saw it once in a wild subadult male S. limbata. It molted successfully to adulthood, but I don't know what happened to it after that (it flew away). After its molt it no longer had the crease.

He still has a chance, especially if he sheds and dries it in a proper position. I would remove horizontal ceiling space for hanging while leaving lots of vertical wall space. I believe one of the reasons Chinese get this condition so regularly in captivity is because people often provide the opposite conditions with little to no easy to cling to wall space and leaving the ceiling as the only viable place to hang and shed. This species in my opinion, does not do good in little deli cups. They a large species that is very active and needs ample room to stretch.

Personally I would talk to your seller. If they had any sort of health guarantee than this would void it in my opinion.

I have him in a gallon pretzel container with a paper towel lid and a wall of paper towel (hot glued) leading to the bottom, also padded with paper towel. I could cut a diagonal section off and use a rubber band and mesh, i guess.

His buds are swollen, so feeding is off. Today I gave him honey water and misted his enclosure, just to keep his moisture up. I could modify his enclosure tomorrow. Please, please don't molt tonight!

Choeradodis do this naturally. They fold in half like a leaf. Some keepers say to include lots of side gripping objects so the choeradodis don't hurt themselves hanging upside down

I have him in a gallon pretzel container with a paper towel lid and a wall of paper towel (hot glued) leading to the bottom, also padded with paper towel. I could cut a diagonal section off and use a rubber band and mesh, i guess.

His buds are swollen, so feeding is off. Today I gave him honey water and misted his enclosure, just to keep his moisture up. I could modify his enclosure tomorrow. Please, please don't molt tonight!
I would remove the paper towel from the lid and replace it with something slick so he has no motivation to hang out up there or try to shed from there. I've never used paper towel as a cling surface and would personally want to use something with more texture for this species. Shelf liner is great. They make grated ones and they are cheap and can be bought at home stores like Home Deput. It is easy to cut and glue in place and makes a great grip surface. Plus, you can wash/whipe it off so I would imagine it would be far cleaner than paper towels that can get gunky over time.

If he is refusing food on his own than there is a good chance he will shed tonight. Chinese generally don't stop eating more than 24 hours before a shed.

Choeradodis do this naturally. They fold in half like a leaf. Some keepers say to include lots of side gripping objects so the choeradodis don't hurt themselves hanging upside down
There are a number of species that purposely raise their abdomens but Chinese mantises are not one of them. The fact they lack the mechanics and control to lift in that section is probably one of the reasons they are in part at a higher risk at getting a bad crease right there.

I got him about 40 hours ago, and he had swollen buds.

Could I just put his container on an angled surface, like an uneven blanket, therefore creating an angle at the top?

Also, what degree angle would you recommend? Finall, should his head be pointed toward the higher side, or the lower side?

There are a number of species that purposely raise their abdomens but Chinese mantises are not one of them. The fact they lack the mechanics and control to lift in that section is probably one of the reasons they are in part at a higher risk at getting a bad crease right there.
This species is not supposed to have a crease. He was saying it happens in other species too.

This species is not supposed to have a crease. He was saying it happens in other species too.
Oops miss read his post. I'm not familiar with the specifics of that species so when he worded it that they do it naturally I thought he meant they were lifting their rears on their own like say a boxer mantis might.

I got him about 40 hours ago, and he had swollen buds.

Could I just put his container on an angled surface, like an uneven blanket, therefore creating an angle at the top?

Also, what degree angle would you recommend? Finall, should his head be pointed toward the higher side, or the lower side?
You can turn the cage but keep in mind this species likes to move about so if their isn't much easy to cling to options yet a lot of room in the cage the mantis might end up doing a lot of frantic wander/sliding on the slicker surfaced walls. I would create a mostly vertical sides for gripping and future shedding. Ideally you want his abdomen to not be flipped over his back while he is relaxing in the cage. It really doesn't matter which way he is facing as long as this is the case. When he does go to shed however he will be facing down. Keep in mind you should really have 3x his current body length in hight to make sure he has enough room when he goes to drop down from his skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
The depth of the container is 3x the length already.

The thing that concerns me is that no matter which way he's hanging, his abdomen is flipped. The only time his abdomen wouldn't be creased is if he is facing up when he molts, or if he does a ground molt.

Latest posts