Creo ooth, only 3 nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garin33

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever had this experience.

My female Creo was mated about 3 weeks or so after molting to an adult. The next day she laid her ooth. Since that time she has laid 2 more ooths.

The first ooth she laid, hatched out 3 nymphs yesterday. I checked this morning and there is still only 3 nymphs. I have misted the ooth container daily since it was laid and it has been kept at room temperature.

I'm wondering if this ooth only had 3 nymphs come out because she was fertilized only 1 day before she laid the ooth? Or will more nymphs come out later?

Thanks for any input.

Maybe more nymphs will come it later. I know that higher heat makes molts more synchronized, maybe hatches too. Maybe a room temperature incubation gave you an asynchronous hatch?

hello mime454,

Thanks for the input regarding heat. I wasn't sure if it was the short period between mating and laying.

From your experience, does the time between first mating and laying the ooth have an effect on the ooth? (too short of a time period)

hello mime454,

Thanks for the input regarding heat. I wasn't sure if it was the short period between mating and laying.

From your experience, does the time between first mating and laying the ooth have an effect on the ooth? (too short of a time period)
I've only just started rearing my own ooths, so you'll have to rely on someone else's experience for that.

I'm totally guessing here, but I would say taht it shouldn't have much of an effect. I thought that the mantis stored the spermatophore in a tube separate from the eggs until she is making the ooth. Again, I just have a vague notion that I read that somewhere, so it might be wrong.

I had something similar happen with my oxyopsis ooth. Only 2 hatched out at first, but about 2 weeks later I had another 28 nymphs come out. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you posted and I'll keep watching.

I have only hatched 3 ooths and they were all T. Sinensis and they all hatched out at once so I wasn't familiar with this.

Thanks!

I've had this happen with Acants. One day I'll have one nymph, the next there will be three or four, and then day after that there's like twenty-five,

Sometimes you really only do get three or four nymphs, but usually that happens with older females...

I had one Oxy hatch out yesterday. I'll hoping his brothers and sisters put in an appearance soon.

Give it a little time. I had an H. Majuscula ooth hatch out about 45 nymphs over 10 days. It started out slow then peaked around day 5 then tapered out. So don't give up on it.

Hi all,

Just an update on the creo ooth. It's been 9 days and so far no more nymphs have hatched. Just the initial 3.

However, the 2nd creo ooth that was laid on 9/26/12 just hatched this morning and it looks like there are about 50+ so this ooth appears more normal. Maybe the 1st ooth will still hatch more or possibly it was because the female was mated only one day before the ooth was laid. I'll keep a watch on it and post any changes.

Thanks for everyones help.

Latest posts