Creo sexing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aychen222

Reaction score
I know there was a thread about sexing creos on here before but I couldn't pick out the differences. Anyway here are my 2 creos, just wanted to figure out which is which. Creo 2 (V.C.) is 1 molt ahead of Creo 1(Kane)

Creo 1

Creo 2

Honestly, it is going to be difficult for you to tell at that size unless, 1) you have others to compare to, and #b they are at least L3.

There's no visual difference in the sexes until they are L3 (this doesn't apply to all species, but works for Creos). At that L3, I can grab my handy-dandy 10x loupe & pen-light & look at the last abdominal segment. The female will have one large segment at the end (and sometimes you can see a little 'V' notch in it), the male will have a divided segment, giving a higher segment count if you are the segment-counting type.

From around L4 on, it's easy because the male Creos will develop thicker antennae (but again, it's helpful to have a larger group with both sexes, so that you have something to compare to).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts