Creobroter nebulosa

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a female creobroter which was sold to me as "gemmatus" and recently i've got a new male to breed with her which was also sold as "gemmatus"

is my female actually a creobroter gemmatus? here she is

3575079959_e46ca82912_b.jpg

also is my male a gemmatus? or are they both different species of creobroter?

3575079955_af5b4cf12a_b.jpg

I checked his wings and he has a black spot on both so doesn't that mean he's a c.nebulosa? his body is 30mm long and his wings are less than 35mm long

Forget the wing spots. They are variable and may be misleading. Your female belongs to elongatus. I'm not sure about the male, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the wing spots. They are variable and may be misleading. Your female belongs to elongata. I'm not sure about the male, though...
do you know any signs that will show if my male is an elongatus?

It should be elongatus, as this is most widespread species in culture at moment besides pictipennis. And pictipennis has a different pronotum and somewhat longer wings. To avoid such confusion, we use the IGM numbers.

Gemmatus probably was not in culture in recent years, but this is hard to prove.

I have specimens who are all the same species, but are very wierd. Brown shield, male's white dots on wings behind shield barely visible, no black on hindwings for male, male is under 35 mm, female wings don't go past end of abdomen like gemmatus, black I think nearly reaches edge of hindwings but she is incooperative, white dots look like gemmatus, and they are too small to be nebulosa so they are probably gemmatus unless they are either meleagris or urbanis, they aren't pictipennis or elongata or nebulosa.