Cricket-Fed Idolo Produces Fertile Ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think their problem is they are plain Janes as far as most people are concerned. I however love their temperments. They are truly gentle giants who are sweet as can be. I've had the joy of owning six now and despite handling mine on a daily basis I have never once got a threat pose thrown at me. They are a curious mantis, with a nice activity level, and will crawl right out on your hand. I tend to stay away from a lot of the more delicate stick type ones because they seem so much more hands off and shy. I also loved that they were diverse feeders. They are just as happy taking crickets as flies, or mealworms.

The love I have for this speicies was enough I was going to do a breeding to keep a line going but I coudn't find any boys, same problem as Rebecca was having. I am so sad to see them go, especialy since I know they are not flashy enough to be a mantis that will come back because there is a large demand.

Part of the reason I like having a small amount at once is because I know I have a terrible system. I way over do things. I'm not even going to mention some of the things I do on a daily level because I'm sure it would have most members on this board shaking their heads.

Ha! As a guy who gets TONS of critisicm for not sticking to the program, you've got my sympathies. I try to share the setbacks, too (and there are plenty). So, feel free to share the odd-ball techniques and desperate measure. If, for not other reason, you'll save someone ELSE the embarrassment!!

BTW, I don't think I had my Eucho's (can you call them that) communally - I had them in with other communal species. Do they get a long in groups with each other...?

Ha! As a guy who gets TONS of critisicm for not sticking to the program, you've got my sympathies. I try to share the setbacks, too (and there are plenty). So, feel free to share the odd-ball techniques and desperate measure. If, for not other reason, you'll save someone ELSE the embarrassment!!

BTW, I don't think I had my Eucho's (can you call them that) communally - I had them in with other communal species. Do they get a long in groups with each other...?
Well one of the things I do is offer water daily to all my mantises. Your probably thinking, well that isn't too odd, giving them a daily spritz, but no, when I say I offer water daily I mean they get the royal treatment and I offer some via syring since I am always paraniod the mesh doesn't hold water well enough for them to have a proper drink if they are thirsty. Clearly this would become very, very time consuming if you say had fifty mantises to tend to instead of just a handful. =pFunny you should ask how they do with others. As I said in my last post, I've never once had one throw a threat pose up at me, but my two girls Tinkerbell and Merlin sure loved to put on a show for eachother. I never personally housed them together, but they went at it a couple times between the clear side of a net cages. I eventually dropped a blanket over the side of it because whenever Tinkerbell was out she would make a beeline for her sister's cage to let her feelings be known. Until I saw them going at eachother, I was convinced they just didn't have it in them to throw their arms up in a I am going to claw your eyes out threat display. Since I never actually let them interact where they could get at each other I can't say for certain if they would have harmed eachother or just had a few mock battles before settling down.

Latest posts