Crickets - H. Coronatus?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt020593

Reaction score
So I have an Adult pair of H. Coronatus and I could really do to start fattening the female up, but the fly pupae I have haven't began to hatch out yet(I predict they will in a few days). So my question is, has anybody actually experienced bad effects from feeding crickets to H. Coronatus(adults prefferably) or is it just a myth?(I'm talking ootheca problems, sudden death etc...)

Also while I'm at it, how many weeks adult should I wait before putting them together?

Matt

It is fine. I fed mostly crickets to them when I had them. The issue is that they prefer flying insects so make sure the crickets have some way to climb to the top. If they have been adults for a couple weeks you can try to mate them now.

OK, I will see what she thinks of them. Female became adult on the 20th April and 7th May for the male what do you think?

OK, I will see what she thinks of them. Female became adult on the 20th April and 7th May for the male what do you think?
I would try to mate them now. If he is not interested try again in a few days. I had the best luck with these by just picking up the male and placing him on her back. If he won't react prod her with something to make her move a little bit.

hmm, I think I might wait til I have flies because then she has an easy and constant supply of food so she doesnt eat him. Did you get many males eaten?

hmm, I think I might wait til I have flies because then she has an easy and constant supply of food so she doesnt eat him. Did you get many males eaten?
Feeding her a lot is no guarantee she won't him. Not at all. No I don't. I mate them loose in a room so he has all the room he needs to escape.

Matthew, don't ever use crickets as prey for Hymenopus, especially black crickets. Sometimes you will be lucky and have no problems, but in my experience there is just no point in taking the risk.

Just use flies, cockroaches or moths.

Rob.

Matthew, don't ever use crickets as prey for Hymenopus, especially black crickets. Sometimes you will be lucky and have no problems, but in my experience there is just no point in taking the risk.Just use flies, cockroaches or moths.

Rob.
I've heard warnings about feeding crickets to Hymenopus sp. before; what problems do they cause?

I've heard warnings about feeding crickets to Hymenopus sp. before; what problems do they cause?
I never had a problem. Perhaps those big black ones would take a bite out of a mantis or injure a molting one but your regular house cricket sold as food is fine.

Latest posts