Cross breeding?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltarMantis

Reaction score
Hi all. I don't plan on practicing breeding for some time still but I am interested in the possibilities. Though I'm sure if possible it would take a long time, I am wondering whether or not mantids can be continuosly bread selectively to create unique changes in a controlled environment over a long period of time, or if there are too many variables. I'd love to one day work on developing my own species but I assume that would at least take some sort of advanced genetic knowledge.

There's structural and size differences in genitalia that makes mating difficult or impossible between mantises of different species. It becomes even more pronounced when you look at different genuses. If you can get across the barrier of size and structure of genitalia, then you have to somehow find genetic compatibility for successful fertilization and subsequent embryogenesis. Some species can fertilize eggs of another species, but the eggs fail to develop past a point due to the fact that at some point, genetic instructions for development conflict and the embryo dies. If you do manage to get a viable embryo, then you have to account for the fact that their behavior is dependent on their genetics and they may die due to anomolous behaviors that decrease their success at feeding, molting, finding mates, and producing oothecae.

You could selectively breed mantises for certain traits, but hybridization is probably unlikely unless it is between described species that are so closely related that they're more likely to be subspecies of the same species.

Ah, that's what I figured... So really the most viable thing to do is closely study one species and bread ones with preferable traits. In example only breading the largest of a species, or most aggressive (if that can be determined) for generations? Are there any invertebrate species besides ff's that are easily bread?

Roaches and isopods are two that come to mind and I know you can find different color morphs in some cultures and breed those and youcan end up with a ton of the color morph,  like I am working on getting my albiono orange P. Laevis to get to good nuber so I can isolate that morph in a separate culture so they'll breed with that same morph which in most cases keeps the color if it's gentic (I think so)  I know some people have a pretty uncommon morph of dubias roaches that are a yellowish gold color. 

If you find an individual exhibiting a specific characteristic, you can try selectively breeding for that characteristic. If it is heritable, you should at the very least be able to increase the percentage of individuals with that characteristic over time. You will need to learn some basic genetics to more accurately determine whether or not you have a heritable trait.

Some examples of selective breeding in invertebrates: butterflies and moths have been bred for atypical coloration and patterns on their wings. Katydids have been selected for specific colors like bright pink. Beetles have been bred for coloration. Shrimp have been bred for coloration and patterns.

Selective breeding in invertebrates can be pretty easy in that the high number of offspring produced means a higher probability of encountering an individual showing atypical traits. At the same time, it can be difficult because many traits in invertebrates are epigenetic--they are not heritable because they occur when genes are turned on and off in response to environmental factors encountered during development or even in response to environmental factors encountered by their parents.

Sweet! thanks! I'd like to have roaches and sow bugs one day. I've heard that die bugs taste like shrimp, though I'm reluctant to kill any myself though I'm hypocritical enough to eat shrimp.

Latest posts