Cryptic Sex

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock34girl

Reaction score
Any of the breeders that have experience with this species, how did you sex them. Most of mine have molted to adult and I am a little worried I don't see any differences between them. So, I am hoping I don't have all female. I looked on the posted care sheet but it doesn't look like its done yet so those of you that have bred it or have some toilet reading info stashed away, what say you?

you can sex them the normal way. the males are smaller and thinner. if you post pics, we can tell you.

Yeah, I kinda figured it would be the abdominal stuff. Bleh, all ladies. I swear I am running a female boarding school at this rate. Not a male in site over 17 species. lol. SMH.

That's awful! :( That's what I hope doesn't happen when I get a BUNCH of mantids... Or hatch an ootheca and let a bunch of nymphs go, but have unknowingly chosen all of one sex to rear. At least you have a lot of females! You should easily be able to make very favorable trades, if there are any males available.

Yeah, I kinda figured it would be the abdominal stuff. Bleh, all ladies. I swear I am running a female boarding school at this rate. Not a male in site over 17 species. lol. SMH.
that's some really bad luck...maybe give them a couple more instars and maybe you will notice a difference and find some males?

How do you have 17 species and no males? That's a lot of bad luck.
Ha! That's a typo. Someone texted me last night and mentioned it and I didn't feel like crawling out of bed to fix it. Lol not really bad luck, sometimes peeps send you all one sex and you are left to scrounge for the other. The person that sent the cryptics though, that wasnt the case. Early on I think there was males but lost to cannabalism. :-(

Ha! That's a typo. Someone texted me last night and mentioned it and I didn't feel like crawling out of bed to fix it. Lol not really bad luck, sometimes peeps send you all one sex and you are left to scrounge for the other. The person that sent the cryptics though, that wasnt the case. Early on I think there was males but lost to cannabalism. :-(
So... You have 7 species?

Do you think you can get a trade for males, or talk to whomever you purchased them from?

I just checked the 5 cryptics I kept for breeding, and 4 of them are males. It looks like I can help you out with a fresh adult male.

I just checked the 5 cryptics I kept for breeding, and 4 of them are males. It looks like I can help you out with a fresh adult male.
Looks like you both may be in luck! :)

Latest posts