Cryptics Mating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradoxica

Reaction score
Today i made my first attempt at breeding my Cryptic mantids. The male took a full hour to creep the 9 inches he had to cover to reach her.

Once he made it there he still had a ways to go...

crypticmatingD70good1_zps45c98c27.jpg

crypticmatingD70good2_zps3fc94876.jpg

crypticmatingD70good3_zpsf47480cd.jpg

crypticmatingD70good4_zpsb9045598.jpg

crypticmatingD70good5_zps0e65e96c.jpg

Then he decided to wait there for the next 10 hours

crypticmatingD70good6_zps6d3239b2.jpg

But finally ...

crypticmatingD70good_zpse80c8674.jpg

They've been attached for nearly an hour and a half now

Sounds like my Marbleds except your male knows what he's doing. Do you have a community going? separate by sex maybe? or do you keep them all separate? And I'm guessing the males are in a different room than the females.

I only seperated the 1 adult male after he tried to eat the female while she was sub. I live in a small studio apartment though so it's not really an option to put him in a different room

An hour to creep 9 inchs!?!? And I thought my male Ghostie was frustrating. Haha

Anyway, congrats B! Hopefully they mate more and you get a buncha Ooths! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
very skittish guys, my male when i had them only mated with 1 female once, took 5 attempts to get them to connect and they connected for less than 2 hours but he got the job done and i had 30 nymphs hatch abt 5 weeks later :D

Well today has been a big day for me, I found a pretiosa ooth on this lady's mesh in her tank..

It's sooooo tiny! Although I'm not sure what I was expecting from such a small species.

She mated 3 times so I think the odds are pretty good for fertility.

I'll try to get a pick tomorrow.

Seems normal size U will be surprised at the size and quantity of the nymphs that can come out of these things, its quite amazing :lol:
thats how I felt with my odontos too. watching so many come out of such a small ooth I still have no idea how they all fit in there. I hope my Cryptics hatch soon