Culture producing way more flies than I need!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaxALotl

Reaction score
Denver CO or Phang-Nga, Thailand (depending on the
I've moved up to the hydei flies for my 2 week old mantises, and they seem to be doing great. 

But the culture is producing 25 times as many flies as the 10 mantises can possibly eat. I think I remember reading that if there are too many flies in the culture it will mess things up. Should I just release some occasionally to keep the culture healthy?

Hey Paxalotl, you can dump them from time to time to keep the culture from spoiling, but this time of year especially, they will breed with wild flies and the offspring will be fliers so may not want let them go free.. I'd suggest  using smaller cultures, unless you have a lot of mouths to feed. Then again, its always better to have too many than little(like me try to keep my hatchlings fed :eek:

@Introvertebrate Lol. Good one! You need more mantids to eat all of your extra fruit flies! Of course! Like there is no other way to get rid of the extras :p  

(The excuses we think up to get more mantids  ;)  )

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts