Culturing Flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lectricblueyes

Reaction score
I did a quick search of the forums / google for Fly Culture. I know, I could search harder but does anyone have an article on how to house/culture flies? I was thinking it would be very simple. Afterall, these creatures breed, eat, and reproduce in trash cans. I was thinking of a cheap glass enclosure with fine screen on top. Two holes, one to drop more wet dogfood into the container and the other hole to extract the flies. Holes would be on top. I might drip some honey on top of the screen for them to eat as well. A plastic small tub of wet dog food seems smart. Dog food doesn't go bad very quickly. Of course, I would store this thing outside because it would really stink and escapees would be a HUGE pain.

Any tips/advice/articles? I thought adding this feeder to my collection of Crickets and FF's would be nice. Something in between the two sizes.

Thanks!

I assume you are not talking about fruit flies? My only advice would be to buy the maggots online. They can be stored in the fridge and then you can take out however many you need. Within a week they will turn into flies. Once you get your routine down you will always have some. Once they are flies I feed them honey from a syringe. I put the maggots into the same 32 oz deli cups I use for mantids. I squirt the honey with the syringe onto the foam plug in the side. Much easier to just buy them then keeping some stinking concoction sitting around. They are inexpensive too.

and if u decide u still must know, go to www.spiderpharm.com and Chuck has pics and everything u need to know how to do yourself, he is the fly king!

Latest posts