Customs removing Ooths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omar morsy

Reaction score
This is what happens when you ignorantly order a mantis from an unreliable source. You get a bunch of dead fruit flies and a dead little nymph.

82A49F68-03B2-4A43-91F6-134E42889A60.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man it must have been 3 weeks! 

Its entirely my fault, idiot me I just trusted the first source. I wanted a mantis so bad I just jumped at the first selling one.

lesson well learned.

downright embarrassing

Id3 never select anything less than overnight UPS, Purolator, or FedEx.  Possibly 2 day if it's mild and inside Canada. By mild I also include those 32°C sun blasting humid summer days - heat will kill your acquisitions... not just the cold.

I also request "hold at destination" as deliveries are unreliable. I just pick up at my nearest courier location. Packages are held inside until pickup.

Smart advice that I will follow for all future purchases.

I apologize for the misleading title, I had initially thought it was a shipment of Ooths that I was eagerly waiting for. I thought maybe customs removed the ooths and shipped me an empty box. I inspected the dead grass and found what looked like a tiny little dead nymph.

thats when I remember my stupid idiotic first impulse purchase.

Smart advice that I will follow for all future purchases.

I apologize for the misleading title, I had initially thought it was a shipment of Ooths that I was eagerly waiting for. I thought maybe customs removed the ooths and shipped me an empty box. I inspected the dead grass and found what looked like a tiny little dead nymph.

thats when I remember my stupid idiotic first impulse purchase.
Who did you order from?

Some guy from Poland.

yes I was that stupid and desperate.

I know I know.

pure impulse. I was madly intoxicated with the idea of having one. 0 common sense.

i have no idea what I was thinking.

i have no idea what I was thinking.
Sometimes that's the way we learn. This hobby... it's tough to get your bearings in it. You think you've collected the information and you smash START.

Then you realize, in hindsight, wrong moves and incompletely understood situations. Context is everything. Sometimes it's there and sometimes no. Sometimes you trip out and simply misunderstand.

My HOPE, aka Golden #2, could have been saved had I understood the molt cycle including the sequence. Had I understood, I would've realized the critter must hang from it's butt for a bit so its chitin starts to firm up. I just helped remove the tiny bit on it's butt. I should have strung her up to dry. She would be doing much better. I mean shes alive and eating, and strikes with her messed up raptorials, but she can't grapple anything. It will be a miracle if she can even hang to molt this off.

Le sigh... We learn, man.

Buy Orin's book. It will save you a ton of as far as mantis care goes. I paid low $50s CAD online at Indigo.

Sometimes that's the way we learn. This hobby... it's tough to get your bearings in it. You think you've collected the information and you smash START.

Then you realize, in hindsight, wrong moves and incompletely understood situations. Context is everything. Sometimes it's there and sometimes no. Sometimes you trip out and simply misunderstand.

My HOPE, aka Golden #2, could have been saved had I understood the molt cycle including the sequence. Had I understood, I would've realized the critter must hang from it's butt for a bit so its chitin starts to firm up. I just helped remove the tiny bit on it's butt. I should have strung her up to dry. She would be doing much better. I mean shes alive and eating, and strikes with her messed up raptorials, but she can't grapple anything. It will be a miracle if she can even hang to molt this off.

Le sigh... We learn, man.

Buy Orin's book. It will save you a ton of as far as mantis care goes. I paid low $50s CAD online at Indigo.
❤️ 

will do! 

Some guy from Poland.

yes I was that stupid and desperate.
Ah, Exo Factory (Bartek). I ordered from him once, usually mantids will never arrive OK from him, he's not reputable, and it's illegal. He's a big no-no in this hobby.

Ah, Exo Factory (Bartek). I ordered from him once, usually mantids will never arrive OK from him, he's not reputable, and it's illegal. He's a big no-no in this hobby.
Really? just saw he posted something in the for sale like $110 for orchid ooths which seems rediculous for an ooth but i havent really looked into that species ooth prices so im clueless to it.

I though about that too.

But the illegal thing. We're all breaking the law anyway, in most jurisdictions.

In the Wanted/Sale forum all sellers and buyers must declare their location and agree not to solicit sales/trades to or from other countries. These rules protect everyone in the mantis community and even the hobby itself. I highly suggest not ordering from abroad... that's a whole different ballgame. When I see a seller from out of the country who isn't active in any other forums, I mute them to remove the temptation. 😁

In the Wanted/Sale forum all sellers and buyers must declare their location and agree not to solicit sales/trades to or from other countries. These rules protect everyone in the mantis community and even the hobby itself. I highly suggest not ordering from abroad... that's a whole different ballgame. When I see a seller from out of the country who isn't active in any other forums, I mute them to remove the temptation. 😁
Very good idea! I’ll never be tempted like that again. I felt so bad when I found the little nymph. I have a feeling he shipped it dead already! 

A real J@ck@$$! Than again I’m the one who did business with him.

still can’t belueve I was that dumb

If it was in transit 3 weeks, you couldn't have expected a live arrival.

What was the shipping commitment at time of sale?

Yeah his site used to promise live arrival too.. I feel for you Omar, I got a box of dried up orchid nymphs from him last christmas. They were shipped identically to yours, with no insulation, in a paper thin cardboard box. I

We have it hard here. Hope you have better luck in future! 

Hopefully a few of us canucks will luck with their oothecae n  have a good hatch, making a couple more kinds available up here :D

Personally, my Miomantis caffra are nearing reproductive age. My Phyllocrania paradoxica are a couple molts from adulthood.

Latest posts