D. Hydei medium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaLynn

Reaction score
I've been finding these large orangie/yellow fruit flies with red eyes, around my house and my mantids love them. Today I found six of them and want to try to start a culture with them so I can have a steady supply. Does anyone know of a good fruit fly medium recipe and/or method for raising D. Hydei that differs from Melanogasters? I've used the masa mix medium for mels, and it worked really well, but from what I read on different posts on that thread, it didn't work so well for D. Hydei. I'm not sure what species these are, they seem bigger than D. Hydei (mabey just the wings) but it would be cool if I could get a culture going so if anyone has any helpful tips or info I'd really like to hear it. :D

I've been finding these large orangie/yellow fruit flies with red eyes, around my house and my mantids love them. Today I found six of them and want to try to start a culture with them so I can have a steady supply. Does anyone know of a good fruit fly medium recipe and/or method for raising D. Hydei that differs from Melanogasters? I've used the masa mix medium for mels, and it worked really well, but from what I read on different posts on that thread, it didn't work so well for D. Hydei. I'm not sure what species these are, they seem bigger than D. Hydei (mabey just the wings) but it would be cool if I could get a culture going so if anyone has any helpful tips or info I'd really like to hear it. :D
This works consistently for me:

1 cup potato flakes.

1 cup water. Mix and allow the water to absorb.

About a tbs (15cc) of sugar on top of that, then about the same ammount of vinegar on top of that.

A half thin slice of apple or mushed banana.

The usual sprinkle of dry yeast.

A few strands of excelsior.

about 50 flies (or in yr case, as many as you can find!).

Close the lid and wait for two weeks -- Success! :D

This works consistently for me:1 cup potato flakes.

1 cup water. Mix and allow the water to absorb.

About a tbs (15cc) of sugar on top of that, then about the same ammount of vinegar on top of that.

A half thin slice of apple or mushed banana.

The usual sprinkle of dry yeast.

A few strands of excelsior.

about 50 flies (or in yr case, as many as you can find!).

Close the lid and wait for two weeks -- Success! :D
Thanks! I will try it. ;)

Type it into the search. This topic has been covered hundreds of times. Personally I prefer commercially made medium.

Latest posts