Daily Routine

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's a college professor at UCI, has his Mantids run on a treadmill device he built for 5 or 6 minutes every other day, uses a little harness to keep them on course. He says the exercise gives them the running experiece they would have chasing prey in nature and makers them healthier and better breeders with longer lives. He is going to publish a book, a study of the effect of exercise on predatory insects. I have seen some of the pictures and videos. Very impressive! The before and after pictures are particularly impressive.

I handle mine all the time, especially when they are larger. They all have their own distinct personalities. Some seem to like being held, others want nothing to do with you, others just don't seem to care either way. I also use to feed them by hand, but after a few run-ins with some mantids that have severely bad aim I decided against that. Sometimes I tie a cricket or roach (roaches are better for this) to string and drag it around my table while my mantid chases it. Pretty funny to watch. If I can find one of the videos I will post it. Works best with African mantids. They will chase down anything.

He's a college professor at UCI, has his Mantids run on a treadmill device he built for 5 or 6 minutes every other day, uses a little harness to keep them on course. He says the exercise gives them the running experiece they would have chasing prey in nature and makers them healthier and better breeders with longer lives. He is going to publish a book, a study of the effect of exercise on predatory insects. I have seen some of the pictures and videos. Very impressive! The before and after pictures are particularly impressive.
Do you know where I could find some of those pictures and videos? It sounds really cool. I can't believe your mantids will just sit still, sk8erkho.

Do you know where I could find some of those pictures and videos? It sounds really cool. I can't believe your mantids will just sit still, sk8erkho.
Me too please! :p

i wanna see too!

I can honestly say that I think insects can get familiar with humans. I base this off my experience with tarantulas. Now some species are going to be aggressive no matter what like the Haplopelma lividum or the Baboon species. Some other species will tolerate being held though. You can tell that a tarantula that was held often when it was young is less skittish or even scared when it’s pulled out of its home. It’s still hard to say because insects are insects and they live off instinct. Once in a while one will just bite just because of a feeder response, same with snakes and other reptiles. I can’t really say mantids are the same though because all I have is babies so far. :shock:

mine only is in her cage at night, other then that shes out to do whatever she wants.. she just hangs out in teh area and chills and does whatever she wants.. she has never gone anywhere else then her usual spots

Latest posts