Damon diadema: freshly molted

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschind

Reaction score
I was getting ready to go to bed tonight and I decided to check on a few spiders I had re-homed today. As I walked past one of my racks I noticed one of my young female D. diadema had just molted. This is a close as I have come so far to actually seeing the process, still a bit late but very cool nonetheless. I really wanted to get some pictures but I was hesitant to move her in any way but since it was a rare occurrence (the molting obviously but even more amazing that my camera battery was charged) I figured I would chance it. I pulled the cork out very carefully and she just sat there not moving at all. Here are a few pictures. 

tailless lwhip female molt 3.jpg

tailless whip female molt 1.jpg

tailless whip female molt 2.jpg

@sschind Very nice! She looks like she grew quite a bit too in that molt. :D

I know what you mean about missing things. I swear I'm going to have to break down and buy a security cam so it records incidents like that with my pets. ;)

They look very neat and after that are blue for a while. I've been trying to get a different molt sequence but the last time I ran into a molt I snapped one pic and then forgot about it (I was on the way to work but could have gotten one or two more pics to make a great sequence).

Latest posts