Dane’s Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Dane

Reaction score
Figured I’d finally make one of these, and I’m glad to say it’ll be my 600th post. I certainly don’t have very many mantids, but perhaps they’re still worth sharing.

Firstly, here’s my beloved Dana, S. limbata, I believe. Since I haven’t had success breeding and I’ve only hatched a Chinese ooth (the resulting nymphs I did not keep) I had never raised a mantis from L1 before. But Dana was found when she was fresh into the world, and now she’s all grown up, after 8 molts.

Eating hydei at L1 (May 16th):

328603_E5-5_C27-46_EB-9_F4_A-_F25553_BEA9_BF.jpg

Right before her final molt (noticed how swelled her wing buds were):

827_D9816-6120-4787-9_D14-_A03_BD7799_F34.jpg

a few days after her final molt:

82718002-_C2_E4-481_F-_A7_A0-79_A26_EF99943.jpg

Better shot of her wings:

DB27_D7_E2-3_DB0-45_EE-_BB2_E-0_AE005_C99_E96.jpg

I’ll get better pics of her outside later, but it’s been overcast these last few days.

As for my truncatas, they’re now both L4, and I believe they are male and female based on the fact that one has a wider hood than the other.

I don’t have any recent pics of the male since he molted only a couple days ago, but here’s the supposed female:

0_E59401_C-_ABB9-43_F7-_A89_D-5_E6_EB328_E07_C.jpg

Like I said, my current mantis desk is quite empty this year, but hopefully that’ll change real soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dana is a beautiful mantis. It is cool te see a mantis growing up till adulthood and earn their wings.

Your truncata is beautful too :)

Nice! They are so pretty!

My Giant Asian nymph just reached L5 (they are growing up soo fast ? but ?) !!

He also tackled and ate a beemoth by himself...! They are unbelievable sometimes.

Aww, your little male is adorable! He looks curious.

- MantisGirl13

So I got two new Mantids this week.

One is a male S. limbata, which was perfect timing, because Dana has now been an adult for two weeks. He’s very skittish, so I’ve only got this photo. Will try for better ones later.

9679-DA67-7-FA7-4256-A5-EA-8-BBB373730-A9.jpg

Also ordered a new mantis, which arrived today. I’m completely obsessed. This is my first time with an orchid mantis, and I’ve been waiting ages to see one in person! I’ll get better pics tomorrow. It’s either L3/4 according to the seller, so it might be sexable already or by it’s next molt.

1766-D69-D-0907-44-BB-833-C-6-F8-C68-FD7-E97.jpg

Nice photos! Trust me, you will really enjoy the orchid. They aren’t as hard to care for as their caresheets imply. They are fun, however. 

Wow! Pretty orchid! I want some of those soon. Your S. limbata is adorable! 

- MantisGirl13

Thanks everyone! And thanks @Graceface and @ausar318, glad to know orchids really are as wonderful to keep as I hoped!

Unfortunately, I found the male S. limbata lethargic and slow on the floor of his habitat. Since he was on the brink of death, I tried to pair him up with my female immediately. He was too old and uninterested, and is now nothing more than legs and wings. Very disappointed with the outcome of the breeding attempt. But supposedly the males should still be around in the wild, so I’ll look for more suitors! Otherwise, I’ll be posting an ad for males.

I'm sorry for your loss. He was adorable! I hope you can find another one soon!

- MantisGirl13

So here’s a little update:

Still no new male for the S. limbata, but I’ll be leaving the female outside again overnight in hopes she might call one in. 

Both truncatas have molted, but I’m still unsure if they’re both male or a breeding pair. They look like M/F based on hood shape, but seem to be both males based on abdominal segments. If anyone has more experience sexing truncatas, let me know!

Supposed Female (with her exuviae):

8709-D6-BC-3713-4-AE3-90-D7-E4-F104830-A12.jpg

Male (with his exuviae): Now this little miracle was actually in an 8oz temporary quarantine container when he molted. I was not expecting him to molt, and only had him in there for a few days. I have no idea how he survived the molt, but he hasn’t got any injuries and is doing great. I can’t believe my luck with him.

44-B8-CBF4-6-A03-4-D17-BF20-23134-C52-D091.jpg

Better pic of him:

C3-B2-E9-AF-734-F-4-EED-9-EB7-366849-B772-D4.jpg

The orchid mantis is a bit of a mystery. I haven’t found her exoskeleton, but she looks slightly larger than before, and her sex has become much more obvious. The color on her “collar” is a much brighter green. She is a much more aggressive hunter than my other nymphs, so it’s not impossible that she ate her own exuviae.

A1-DAAB60-9-F6-D-4-B01-8-E17-96-EBF5-F89-C7-B.jpg

Definitely female:

CAB50-B90-D6-AC-428-F-B68-E-71-D95-D1-FE5-CD.jpg

I believe she is preparing for another(?) molt, she’s been very skittish in her recent handlings.

Latest posts