Darkling Beetles as Feeders

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serle

Reaction score
Just fed a Mature Meal worm beetle to my mantis , she loved it not withstanding the back armor she chewed the head off then burrowed in.

I found that meal worms at all stages make good feeders . Anyone with any adverse stories on feeding beetles ?.... S

As as long as it moves and is around half of the size or less of the mantis, they will generally go after it! Mantis have been documented capturing tiny birds, lizards,  and even goldfish!!

They are pretty bold, if the insect is small enough.

Always something new to learn in nature! :cowboy:

I haven't tried feeding a darkling beetle yet to mine, maybe I will try this tomorrow. I remember asking on here before and was told it wasn't a good idea because of their hard exoskeleton.

Sidenote: when I was feeding my L7 a full-sized mealworm, it managed to lock itself on with it's mouth on my mantid's arm, and he had to frantically wave it side to side until it was thrown off. Looks like no harm was done to the mantis, but it was an interesting sight to see lol, has that ever happened with any of you?

@Chalc That's why I behead my mealworms first, just so they don't nip at my little guys. I've never tried to feed them a beetle though, but I've heard they make a smell when they're disturbed :/

@Chalc I like watching them eat, one time a smaller mantis was getting overwhelmed by the mealworm's twisting so I held it with a finger and it bit me! Glad it wasn't my mantis, but not a great experience

Latest posts