Data needed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Anderson

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am conducting a present study addressing the biology of praying mantises found in the United States and Canada.  This monograph features an in-depth analysis of relevant taxonomy and ethology of our local mantis species.  Much of the biological data has already been documented and integrated into the study.  However, mantis breeders are often in possession of unique observations that have yet to be tested in the laboratory under more refined, controlled conditions. Your contribution to this study is greatly appreciated.  Any significant data that is not already replicated and documented will be accredited and cited to the hobbyist.  Future projects will address those species found in other biogeographical regions around the world but presently we are focused upon North American species (species list is indicated below).  If you would like to help provide data for this study, please submit the following:

Production capacity and egg content: How many oothecae has your individual mantis produced before dying?  Will your mantis produce unfertilized oothecae? About how many eggs are in each ootheca?

Oothecae description: What color and shape is your ootheca?  What dimensions does it have? Photos are most welcome!

Overwintering/diapause: How long does it take for nymphs to emerge from their ootheca?  Is a diapause (exposure to cold) needed for proper development?  

Nymph emergence synchronized/extended: Do all of the nymphs come out at once or are there scouts or periodic emergence cycles?

Nymph description: What do your nymphs look like-- do they resemble the adults, just smaller with no wings, or are they of a different appearance? Photos are most welcome!

General behavior: Does your mantis display any strange behavior or attitude?  Does it demonstrate a deimatic display when threatened?  Photos are most welcome!

Mating habits: Any courtship or mating rituals observed?  Does your female mantis consume the male?  If so, at what point during copulation? 

North American species list:

"Bactromantis" mexicana (Saussure & Zehntner, 1894)

Brunneria borealis Scudder, 1896 

Gonatista grisea (Fabricius, 1793) 

Iris oratoria (Linné, 1758) 

Litaneutria longipennis Beier, 1929

Litaneutria minor (Scudder, 1872) 

Litaneutria obscura Scudder, 1896

Litaneutria ocularis Saussure, 1892

Litaneutria skinneri Rehn, 1907

Mantis religiosa Linné, 1758

Mantoida maya Saussure & Zehntner, 1894

Oligonicella scudderi (Saussure, 1870)

Pseudovates chlorophaea (Blanchard, 1836)

Pseudovates arizonae Hebard, 1935

Stagmomantis californica Rehn & Hebard, 1909

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Stagmomantis carolina (Linné, 1763)

Stagmomantis floridensis Davis, 1919

Stagmomantis gracilipes Rehn, 1907 

Stagmomantis limbata (Hahn, 1836) 

Tenodera angustipennis Saussure, 1896

Tenodera sinensis Saussure, 1871

Thesprotia graminis (Scudder, 1877)

Yersiniops solitarium Scudder, 1896

Yersiniops sophronicum Rehn, 1908

The Pseudovates both produce infertile oothecae like champs, usually around six.

Funny that you should post this, because I had an odd thing happen this week in regards to synchronicity. I collected 6 Tenodera sinensis wild oothecae from Erie county, PA last winter. All 6 hatched this summer but one produced only ~45 nymphs. The same ootheca hatched again on Friday, producing 5 nymphs. The only reason I noticed this is because the old ooths were all in a cup for future display, and luckily I noticed the nymphs clinging to the top! I've never had this happen in 20+ years.

Funny that you should post this, because I had an odd thing happen this week in regards to synchronicity. I collected 6 Tenodera sinensis wild oothecae from Erie county, PA last winter. All 6 hatched this summer but one produced only ~45 nymphs. The same ootheca hatched again on Friday, producing 5 nymphs. The only reason I noticed this is because the old ooths were all in a cup for future display, and luckily I noticed the nymphs clinging to the top! I've never had this happen in 20+ years.
That is a most interesting note!  I have heard of this occurrence with other species but never with T. sinensis.  Very good data.  Thanks for sharing!

I heard iris does the same thing after the hatch the next year some eggs remain so it's a second wave so there older siblings are adults when they hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. From the japanese giant mantis (first one I hatched) they were quite tamable, but they are easy from what I did in older instars.  are skittish  
  2. Iris oratoria males are flighty, do the demonic display, among skittish (females too)

Latest posts