Day In the Life of a Mantid Breeder?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScienceGirl

Reaction score
How do you guys do what you do?

What does your day look like? How do you house hundreds of nymphs? Any tricks you use to increase speed and efficiency? How long does it take you? Are you in it for the hobby, or had you hoped to make money? Do you make profits? How do you keep generations and cultures going? Do you raise your own feeders?

And anything else you'd like to tell us. :rockon:

well I don't currently have anything that needs fruitflies but I used to have 3 groups set up, ff groups who were fed every other day, hf groups that were fed on days the ff weren't, and then the larger prey (bottleflies, roaches, etc) group who were fed the same days as the ff groups

that way I wasn't spendin ridiculous time each day feeding stuff

and stacking cages help A LOT

I'll reveal more when my battery recharges

retired, what's that? To many questions, try reading the Bugatorium post, lots of good info there. Takes hours!
Haha! You don't even have to answer any of the questions... Just some ideas of stuff to enlighten us about if you couldn't think of anything. :)

ok so the morning starts off at like 7 or 8 and I get out of bed slowly because too fast and I feel dizzy for like 10 minutes, I proceed to the bathroom and I deposit my urine and occasionally fecal matter into the toilet

I sit there yawning for 3-5 minutes, wipe up, and flush the toilet

KEY DETAIL! I stand up, close the toilet, THEN I flush it

my sister flushes it while still sitting on it

anyways, then I walk down the stairs, drink coffee and eat a protein bar if im hungry enough to

I may then sit and watch TV for a few but usually not

I then, still in my pajamas, walk out to check all the rearing sleeves and play with a cat for a few minutes

then I come inside and make my bed and change

I look at all my mantises, but my current collection is only the following:

4 stagmomantis californica

4 taumantis

1 brunneria

1 cilnia

1 pnigomantis

6 parasphendale

if I have to do anything with them I typically will at this time, then I will go outside again, walking through the woods, and I proceed to the hickory trees near my neighbors house to dump out the citheronia frass and possibly move them to more food

then I will go to the oak sleeve with my rothschildias and then I go to my neighbor's porch just to check on the 5 samia cocoons and the 2 polyphemus larvae and luna cocoons in a cage

then I go to my hickory to check on those citheronia

if any house cleaning must be done, I do that

I periodically check various websites and play candy crush

then I do some summer school work

I may make a ham/chicken/lettuce/mayo wrap around 1 for lunch, but if I don't I may either snack on something smaller around 2 or just not eat until supper, mainly because I never feel hungry enough to think to eat, part of it is im just soooo bored and my OCD habits of CONSTANTLY checking things means nothing gets done

so then I think about what I have to do but I procrastinate

then I may do some writing

maybe I do yardwork or actually straighten up my room

yesterday I redid all my toad cages and such

then around 5 my mom comes home from work and dinner is consumed, stuff cleaned up, showers taken and then I just sit around using electronic devices until 10 or 11

that's my typical day

I need a life :lol:

Lol, thanks agent A. That was lovely! :D

I didn't know you kept caterpillars, too.

Oh, yes! You still have to tell me all about rearing sleeves. :)

well today I cleaned my room and got my male cali to mount the female but the cold night temps have slowed them

maybe a heat lamp will help

I get up at 6am, go make coffee and ck email to see what the night tried to do to me. Then I take all my orders on clipboard to Bugatorium. I plug in coffee maker to warm up the water for the mantis, they think it is coffee, so I let them think that, no harm done. Then I take out of fridge their hatched fly bottles, bbs and house flies. While they are coming to room temp, I start pouring their coffee into a sprayer, and hopefully I umplug it at this time as I tend to forget to. I start feeding babies as the fridge flies are not moving yet, when that is done, I start dumping out yesterdays frass and dead flies from each container into the garbage container on my feeding cart. From there, each gets misted and fed. When that is done, I go take a 1/2 cup of milk and pain pill, after washing my hands of course, by this time I am beginning to feel like someone ran me over and I sorely need it. Then I place out pupae into the fly cups to set on shelf to start hatching for another days feeding. After that it is all either making new cages to move someone or shipping, usually shipping the first 4 days of the week. Shipping means making containers w/holes and plugs and running around the Bugatorium to pack orders. After that it is back to the sink and into the office to print labels and look at new emails. After that, I need to eat, or us the restroom or get a drink, probably all of the above. All the while hubby is calling and bothering me like I ain't got nothing else to do but answer his questions or help him with his work! He thinks all I do is fool around! If he only knew! Today I had to drive him to two jobs, his eyes are in bad shape, so he could not drive, but we could not go till the mail lady came, she had packages to pickup and some to deliver to me. So It was after 2 when we left. As it turned out, he could not see good enough to do the work, so I did most of it. Then I drove us home and made some rice to go with hamburgers. Then did dishes, went to barn to get some hurricane hooks I need for the deck work tomorrow, then I found the fly container I was working on under a bush, dug it out, went inside Bugatorium unpacked mantis that came today, fed the roaches, superworms , crickets, and started another container of superworms to turn into beeltes, then went and mopped the laundry room, kitchen, two baths and hallway, as tomorrow is Fuzzy Friday! After that I washed the bug containers in the slop sink, turned out the lights in the Bugatorium and fly room, and came in to do emails and forum, hubby came in and wanted me to download the pics of the jobs we did today and send them in email to his customers, so I did that twice cause I sent the wrong pic first time around, so hard to see those thumbnails! Now I am sitting here with my wrist hurting as I worked outside yest cutting down tree limbs and writing this post. (tonge sticking out, needing drink and massage). here is pic of my darling Fuzzy. I love him to death, whatever that means.

969533_10201555665119857_158123366_eli2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I get up at 6am, go make coffee and ck email to see what the night tried to do to me. Then I take all my orders on clipboard to Bugatorium. I plug in coffee maker to warm up the water for the mantis, they think it is coffee, so I let them think that, no harm done. Then I take out of fridge their hatched fly bottles, bbs and house flies. While they are coming to room temp, I start pouring their coffee into a sprayer, and hopefully I umplug it at this time as I tend to forget to. I start feeding babies as the fridge flies are not moving yet, when that is done, I start dumping out yesterdays frass and dead flies from each container into the garbage container on my feeding cart. From there, each gets misted and fed. When that is done, I go take a 1/2 cup of milk and pain pill, after washing my hands of course, by this time I am beginning to feel like someone ran me over and I sorely need it. Then I place out pupae into the fly cups to set on shelf to start hatching for another days feeding. After that it is all either making new cages to move someone or shipping, usually shipping the first 4 days of the week. Shipping means making containers w/holes and plugs and running around the Bugatorium to pack orders. After that it is back to the sink and into the office to print labels and look at new emails. After that, I need to eat, or us the restroom or get a drink, probably all of the above. All the while hubby is calling and bothering me like I ain't got nothing else to do but answer his questions or help him with his work! He thinks all I do is fool around! If he only knew! Today I had to drive him to two jobs, his eyes are in bad shape, so he could not drive, but we could not go till the mail lady came, she had packages to pickup and some to deliver to me. So It was after 2 when we left. As it turned out, he could not see good enough to do the work, so I did most of it. Then I drove us home and made some rice to go with hamburgers. Then did dishes, went to barn to get some hurricane hooks I need for the deck work tomorrow, then I found the fly container I was working on under a bush, dug it out, went inside Bugatorium unpacked mantis that came today, fed the roaches, superworms , crickets, and started another container of superworms to turn into beeltes, then went and mopped the laundry room, kitchen, two baths and hallway, as tomorrow is Fuzzy Friday! After that I washed the bug containers in the slop sink, turned out the lights in the Bugatorium and fly room, and came in to do emails and forum, hubby came in and wanted me to download the pics of the jobs we did today and send them in email to his customers, so I did that twice cause I sent the wrong pic first time around, so hard to see those thumbnails! Now I am sitting here with my wrist hurting as I worked outside yest cutting down tree limbs and writing this post. (tonge sticking out, needing drink and massage). here is pic of my darling Fuzzy. I love him to death, whatever that means.
Awwwh! He is SO CUTE! Is his name Fuzzy, or is that your nickname for him?

that's the alternate use

I use them for caterpillars mainly but female mantises sleeved outside on branches lay bigger ooths faster I have found
That's what I thought. Where did you get yours? I saw some at livemonarch: http://www.livemonarch.com/store_enclosures.php

Hmmm... Anywhere cheaper or better quality? What do you recommend?

It isn't easy taking care of mantises. I mean on a regular basis I have to tickle mantis hineys with feathers, pop up randomly and go boo to scare them out of their little buggy minds, pretend to kiss them to the point they wave their claws at their head to brush off the kisses, and did I mention I have to tickle mantis hineys? It's not easy.

haha, no his name is Elijah, after Elijah in the Bible, His hair around his little ears was so long when he was born, I nicknamed him that, now he calls his self Lisey for short, I say who's that? and he says Lisey!

I'm not a big-time mantis breeder, but I do breed mantises. I keep the babies in plastic cups with mesh rubberbanded over the top. It's quite a job to take care of 500+ L1's!

haha, no his name is Elijah, after Elijah in the Bible, His hair around his little ears was so long when he was born, I nicknamed him that, now he calls his self Lisey for short, I say who's that? and he says Lisey!
Aw... So cute! :wub: I love that name, too.

My mom always tells me that her mom was really worried when I was born because of the hair on my ears. :lol: She didn't realize it would come off!

Awh, wonderful name. :) Both Elijah and "Fuzzy".

Well, up until a couple of months ago i would wake up around 11:00am. I would look at my bugs as soon as i open my eyes cuz they sleep right next to me. really about 4 inches from my face. Then i would make eggs Benedict with hollandaise sauce. Then go outside to enjoy some fresh air when i can. Then depending on hwat day it is i may drink some coffee. If not i will drink tea. Then when i get tired of looking at the neighbors i will get up and i make my way to the toilet and do my business. Get in the shower and clean up. Shave if i have to. brush my teeth. If i'm going to work i will call a cab. If not i will find something to do like concerts in the park or beer gardens if i have money. Eventually i will find my way to food and eat. Usually greasy food not fit for man. I will then make my way home and drink some sleepy time tea and go to bed. before i go to bed i will feed my bugs, but they are so fat right now they don't need it. So i will usually make pancakes before i go to bed though. With strawberry preserves on top. And some whip cream too. And strawberry maple syrup. And butter. Then I wake up in the morning in a sticky mess with my hair stuck to my pillow. So I cut my hair and start all over again :)

Latest posts