DeeSeven's Orchid Worklog

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeseven

Reaction score
Howdy everyone! Newbie to the mantis field, I've been reading up on them for the last few months. As of right now I plan on buying my first mantis probably sometime next year probably more into feb. so I can get my enclosure set up, etc. So heres what I'm thinking....

Type of Enclosure: 20 Long (why so big? I work at a pet shop I picked up a used 20 long for free...free is good :) )

Type of Mantis: Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid Mantis)

Construction of Enclosure:

Tank:

5ocl6g.gif

Step 1: (after washing it down and letting it dry for a day etc etc). I went to my hardware store and picked up 3 bottles Epoxy Marine

35clai1.gif

stuff is waterproof/humidity proof etc etc. I dumped 2 bottles of Epoxy into a bowl and with latex gloves on I QUICKLY threw it on the bottom of My 20 long leaving about an inch from the left side. Then threw down a thin layer of Moss like so...

w9vfbr.gif

Step 2: I took another bag of Moss and with the last bottle of Epoxy I glued some pieces sticking up etc. to give it a more realistic look like so...

10fe1w7.jpg

its hard to see but trust Me its not flat. Now I have to let this dry for 24/48 hours so I'll update when the glue is dry

Hi DeeSeven, and welcome to the forum. :) I've never had Orchids, so can't really comment much on your setup. The only thing I'm wondering is... how are you going to clean out all the dead feeder pieces and mantis poo from the moss since it's glued down?

Hi DeeSeven, and welcome to the forum. :) I've never had Orchids, so can't really comment much on your setup. The only thing I'm wondering is... how are you going to clean out all the dead feeder pieces and mantis poo from the moss since it's glued down?
thanks for the welcome! actually I forgot to include this but the tank is going to stand on its side (like in the first picture)...In my reading I've found that orchids live in well orchids (I would have never guess :) )...so I plan on growing an orchid on the bottom of the tank..again I'm not totally sure so we'll def. see how it goes..and as for cleaning the moss..thats easy...I didn't glue down ALL the most...just a thin section of it..I can easily yank it off if need be and just buy more.

Edit: thank you for the tip asa I plan on just holding 1 for the time being cause I'm not skilled enough to have multi plus I wouldnt want to spend around 100 dollars for 2 only for 1 to get eatten!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is if they could find each other lol jk nice setup does seem a bit big for an orchid though hopefully you'll get a female since they're a bit bigger.

I'd suggest putting in loose fake plants or orchids that can be climbed from the top to bottom. Maybe ivy along the sides (since the moss is the back). If you keep the bottom bare you could probably keep anything but a 1st or 2nd instar orchid in there. When you get the lid/front you probably would want one with a door in the middle. The size screen may not be important since you'd most likely want to line it with some type of microscreen. It's more complicated than a cage needs to be but also more interesting.

bassist: LOL its huge because I got it for free honestly if I didn't get it for free i would have done a 5 gallon tank.

Orin: Thanks for the ideas I'm still not finished with the tank yet but I like the idea of an ivy plant on the side to top. I'll probably have another update today or tomorrow

You glued the moss down? How are you going to change it out? It will get very nasty before long. Also that tank is WAY too big for a single orchid mantis which will require you to feed more than normal to ensure it gets enough. Smaller is better.

:rolleyes: hello, u could just divide the tank with either screen or lexan or even glass. This way u can put in a few other types if u like, it;s big enough to divide into 3, 4 or eights!

sorry guys I figured (as usual) bigger is better but clearly not in the "mantis" world. lol I like the idea of splitting the cage up..and btw I glued it in a way where I can easily razor blade it off if it gets to be too much. So I guess I'll be revamping and reading up some more on my vacation. Thanks for the advice

sorry guys I figured (as usual) bigger is better but clearly not in the "mantis" world. lol I like the idea of splitting the cage up..and btw I glued it in a way where I can easily razor blade it off if it gets to be too much. So I guess I'll be revamping and reading up some more on my vacation. Thanks for the advice
THat would be better. I divide 2 1/2 gallon tanks into THREE individual spaces even for large mantids if that gives you an idea.

Latest posts