delay ooth hatching

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garin33

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys thought about delaying an ooth from hatching that does not need a diapause by keeping it cool, maybe around 60 degrees or lower.

I have some Sphdromantis ooths that have been at room temperature for a few weeks. If possible, I would like to delay the hatch for a month or so. Is it possible to do that without killing the ooth? Has anyone tried this before? I know you can do this if you possibly do it immediately after it was laid but wasn't sure if it's ok after it's already been at room temps for a few weeks. I have only done it with T. Sinensis and not sphodromantis.

Thank you for any comments.

I'm not sure I would do it to an exotic specie.....they are used to the temps in Africa and 60º could kill it, however this is just an assumption...so it could actually work, I dont know...

Thanks Andrew. Yes, I was worried about that as well.

I was thinking if it wasn't too cold it could possibly delay it some but that could be a fine line.

Has anybody tried it?

I haven't tried it, but my concern would be how far into development they are. If you cooled them after they were laid then maybe it would be alright, but since theyve been developing for a while cooling them off might kill them.

ok, thanks for the input guys.

I'll make sure to not interrupt the incubation process and keep it at room temp.

Latest posts