Dermestid beetles

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Started my culture about a week ago. Their purpose will be to clean skulls. I collect skulls and this is something I have always wanted to do myself. They are almost finished with their first skull after only a day.

Whichever ones I can get my hands on. Mostly have always kept ones I have found. The beetles are used by taxidermists, museums, etc. They eat every bit of flesh off. This way I can get them fresh and clean them myself without damage.

I had a culture of these when I was a kid, but my folks wouldn't let me keep them near the house because they smelled so bad. Do you have that problem, Rick? :D

I had a culture of these when I was a kid, but my folks wouldn't let me keep them near the house because they smelled so bad. Do you have that problem, Rick? :D
Not yet.It is a small colony only feeding on small heads. When it gets warm outside they will into the garage. By that time I hope to have a large culture that can handle large heads.

Do you have any pics?
I can take some. I didn't take any before shots but will next time. I think the first one can be taken out today. It will then be soaked in 40 volume peroxide cream to whiten.

im getting some of these soon i have a freezer full of skinned snakes...i didnt want to use the skin and waste the bones so i saved the bodies

I can take some. I didn't take any before shots but will next time. I think the first one can be taken out today. It will then be soaked in 40 volume peroxide cream to whiten.
I think you should take before, during, and after shots of the skulls about to be cleaned/during them eating/after it all.

This is all very interesting. I also would like to see pic of the whole process, if you feel up to sharring.

Here is a rabbit skull when it went in and 24 hours later. No pics of it before skinning and defleshing as everyone knows what a rabbit looks like:

Going in:

P1230307.jpg

24 hours later. Beetles were knocked off. Normally they cover the entire thing:

P1240309.jpg

Oh I know all about the 40vol. It eats through skin after about 40 minutes. Smells wonderful! Why cream instead of clear though?

Oh I know all about the 40vol. It eats through skin after about 40 minutes. Smells wonderful! Why cream instead of clear though?
Not really sure. I know you can't use regular hydrogen peroxide. Clorox will whiten them right up overnight but will damage the bone.

That's insane, Rick..How big are the beetles themselves?
Quarter inch or so. Maybe a bit larger. The larvae do the majority of the work.

Creepy Rick, really creepy ;) That being said tho... bones are rather beautiful when all cleaned up :) Can you post some pics of some interesting ones that you have?

Creepy Rick, really creepy ;) That being said tho... bones are rather beautiful when all cleaned up :) Can you post some pics of some interesting ones that you have?
I can. Most of mine are found bones which means they are not very pretty. I am just getting into cleaning them myself. I have a squirrel skull that I did last week but it is soaking in the peroxide for a week right now.