Dermestid larvae as feeders?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vyadha

Reaction score
Hey all

Im new to Mantids but not insects. I have a hisser colony, a mealworm colony, a few dozen assassins and a huge dermestid colony. Im not looking to feed the ghosts dermestids but Im curious if I can use these as feeders for future mantids.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

They are valuable in cleaning skulls and others bones. I suppose if you have that many of them you could but not something I would think mantids would go for. You could probably  make money selling them. 

Hey all

Im new to Mantids but not insects. I have a hisser colony, a mealworm colony, a few dozen assassins and a huge dermestid colony. Im not looking to feed the ghosts dermestids but Im curious if I can use these as feeders for future mantids.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?
Would you mind my asking what you feed the dermestids to keep the colony going?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a fair bit of hunting so they get lots of meaty bones and skulls. I keep a lot of meat scraps for them. 

Ive heard of people using dry dog food as well. 

They are valuable in cleaning skulls and others bones. I suppose if you have that many of them you could but not something I would think mantids would go for. You could probably  make money selling them. 
Yeah i use them mostly for skull cleaning. I have a lot of them. I offered them to the ghosts but they weren’t interested.

Latest posts