Deroplatys lobata hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! Also pushing up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right on an Xbox controller while wearing a bra on your head and sticking a fork in a toaster. Works every time!

[img=[URL="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6C1hZS1cuaA/UFocZV08iII/AAAAAAAABLQ/eMsVoO_Ly_4/s1600/Weird_Science1.jpg%5D%5B/quote%5D"]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6C1hZS1cuaA/UFocZV08iII/AAAAAAAABLQ/eMsVoO_Ly_4/s1600/Weird_Science1.jpg][/URL]
Well my neighbor has an xbox and ax has lobatas and my mom and sis have bras on the (drying) racks so i'm set :lol:

I don't do anything special. No heat or anything else. But I don't rush the breeding. Wait till the female is very plump. That may take a month of feeding. Then I oversee the whole process. I don't just throw them in a cage together. I put the female on a vertical surface. Take the male on my hand right up to her rear. Some species you will see the antennae perk up and point straight when he catches her pheromones. Not the case with this species. Put the male behind her and feed her. If the male wanders keep putting him behind her. Depending on the species, sometime I even put him right on her back.
i will deff take my time with the whole process thank you

Wow! Congratulations.... That's a lot of babies, and they look big. I hope you plan to continue with this species.
Thanks! They are big. Just about as big as Idolo nymphs. I'll sell some off at L1 since they look so hardy. Already over 60 sold! Have 2 mated females so should be more to go around.

Thanks! They are big. Just about as big as Idolo nymphs. I'll sell some off at L1 since they look so hardy. Already over 60 sold! Have 2 mated females so should be more to go around.
Don't sell em all! Keep some for yourself!

Very nice hatch bud!

I do separate the males to a different room if the mating doesn't go well on the 1st try with most species to undo the pheromone saturation, since that would never happen in the wild and it works quite well most of the time, but your methods seem to do more than fine for you. ;)

Very nice hatch bud!I do separate the males to a different room if the mating doesn't go well on the 1st try with most species to undo the pheromone saturation, since that would never happen in the wild and it works quite well most of the time, but your methods seem to do more than fine for you. ;)
Opening windows helps with air movement too but i wont be able to do this for a few more months :lol:

We have a snowday here today

Thats alot of little dead leaf's to feed. I have been debating on getting together a communal viv of them. Thats one of the largest ooth hatches Ive heard of in this species.

Thats one of the largest ooth hatches Ive heard of in this species.
Wow, really? I don't know what I'm doing right but I'll try to keep doing it.

I'm having similar luck with the Rhombodera cf valida. Everyone I sold to is reporting low hatch counts, like 16 to 60 nymphs. Mine hatch over 300! No idea why.

And I have a female Orchid that's been adult now for over 6 months and still perfect. That's pretty long for an Orchid. No missing feet and she still eats like a champ. She's laid 8 ooths and preparing a 9th! Not that it will hatch but still pretty impressive.

Its all in the husbandry i guess, Too many people cutting corners in care and housing requirments to save a buck or make life easier who knows. But your definitely doing something right. Wouldnt hurt to teach a few people or have a local meet and show off your ways.

How much time do you spend caring for mantids on an average day, Pre?
No more than 20 hours. :helpsmilie:

Really, not much time at all. I don't feed every day but I do mist all my mantids twice a day and the temp is generally in the 70's. If anything it may be those 2 factors that work really well for most species. Lots of opportunities to drink and no intense heat. So I'll go around with my spray bottle which takes maybe 10 minutes. When I feed I do it pretty fast too. If I take my time it takes maybe a half hour depending on all the variable of what I'm keeping at that moment.

I need to put mine together in the next couple of weeks.Not looking forward to it in the slightest!