Deroplatys lobata Mating...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantid_mike

Reaction score
I'm receiving a male Deroplatys lobata sometime today to hook up the girl that I have. Any tips? I've read here in the forum somewhere that it's really frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that you have to leave them alone. They don't like the sight of humans or movement when they're in the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that you have to leave them alone. They don't like the sight of humans or movement when they're in the moment.
Thanks. I just received the male. I'm going to feed them first and then place them in a net enclosure. ::crossing fingers:: :clover:

Yeah I'm receiving a male next week and have plans of stuffing her, adding a lot of leaves and debris, then soaking the enclosure...they are a dead leaf specie and have been told they are mainly nocturnal....that's why it is recomended to leave them alone over night. .

Yeah I'm receiving a male next week and have plans of stuffing her, adding a lot of leaves and debris, then soaking the enclosure...they are a dead leaf specie and have been told they are mainly nocturnal....that's why it is recomended to leave them alone over night. .
what is the purpose of soaking the enclosure?

Looking forward to an ooth ;) .

Still no luck mating this species. They've been in the same cage together and there has been no connection at all. I doubt that its happened whilst I sleep. Should I separate them for a few days and reintroduce them again?

Still no luck mating this species. They've been in the same cage together and there has been no connection at all. I doubt that its happened whilst I sleep. Should I separate them for a few days and reintroduce them again?
What are your temperatures at? This can have a great impact on breeding receptivity as well.

Mike, how long has it been since your female molted to an adult? MantisOnline says that the female is ready at four weeks after the last molt. Is this a species that is obvious about calling? I have no experience breeding this species as I up with four adult males when I had them in the past. I know a few forum members with experience. Hopefully they will give you some advice.

Yeah that would be your best bet, and feed her as much as she'll eat and as much water as she'll drink; and same goes for the male...
Thanks, Andrew. She definitely has a big appetite and loves to drink water whenever I mist the enclosure. The male isn't as receptive to food, though. He usually rejects it, idk why. When he was sub-adult, he had the appetite of a preggo female.

Mike, how long has it been since your female molted to an adult? MantisOnline says that the female is ready at four weeks after the last molt. Is this a species that is obvious about calling? I have no experience breeding this species as I up with four adult males when I had them in the past. I know a few forum members with experience. Hopefully they will give you some advice.
I'm not sure how long she's been adult, but It's definitely been over 4 weeks. I don't know if you remember, but this is the mantis that I had left on my kitchen table and thought I had lost. She's been around for a while. I've never seen her calling. The first day I got the male, I put them in a net enclosure together and he mounted her, but never bothered to try connecting. It's so weird...

I'm not sure how long she's been adult, but It's definitely been over 4 weeks. I don't know if you remember, but this is the mantis that I had left on my kitchen table and thought I had lost. She's been around for a while. I've never seen her calling. The first day I got the male, I put them in a net enclosure together and he mounted her, but never bothered to try connecting. It's so weird...
Keep trying

When you observe male is staring at female, give female a little food to make her shake her body! this is the key point!!

Keep trying

When you observe male is staring at female, give female a little food to make her shake her body! this is the key point!!
I have them in separate enclosures under a heat lamp right now. I'll try this later today. he's making no effort to get on her anymore.

It happens that male just keep looking at female for 1,2 days!

remember! if female doesnt act, the male will not act!