Deroplatys lobata tips?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgerndt

Reaction score
I got some L2 deroplatys lobata nymphs last week, and I've had two deaths from what seems like out of nowhere. Healthy and happy one day, dead and on the bottom of the deli cup the next. Luckily I was sent a few extras. Any tips on care for this species? I mist them once or twice a day with distilled water, and they eat melanogasters. I keep them at room temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
i found that this species is very delicate at that instar. are they seperated?

I had them three nymphs to a 32 oz deli cup. But since two died from one cup, I moved the last nymph to the cup with the other three. So four in one 32 oz cup. I use paper towel at the bottom with a LITTLE bit of sphagnum moss to hold in moisture. I have some fake flowers for them to climb on, and they have been cleaned since purchased.

I don't usually have problems with my mantids. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got several nymphs. My first time with them (yeah I know I'm way behind) and so far no issues. I'm keeping them at mid 80's and misting twice a day.

I had no trouble with mine in their earlier instars when I had some a few months ago--I only failed to breed them when the only female I had mismolted.

I kept them in their own individual containers with good ventilation and high humidity without spraying them directly.

I had six survive from a hatch and that was I think because I increased the humidity way way way up, put them in seperate containers and used leaf litter as that's their natural environment. I have two in cups however and they are just fine. L1 and L2 need around the clock candle lit vigils

They are very easy to grow.In fact Deroplatys lobatas do not need much humidity to grow.40% to 60% is just perfect.

Water should be used for drinking only.They need to drink daily.

So perhaps you sgould mist a little less.

You may still have some random deaths though,but never more than any other Deroplatys sp,they are the easiest to grow.

I found that they need good air ventilation yet high humidity...so you might want to add a side vent to their cups or whatever you have them in...(like cut a hole and cover it with screen or mesh...but since your feeding them ff you might want to you a tighter woven mesh...I misted once a day (at night)...give them dead leaves/branches and fake plants to hide in...they like having a hiding place once in awhile....

I just want to echo what Nico said. The need lots of drinking water but low humidity. That means when you spray them the cage should not stay wet for more than 15 minutes but they need to be sprayed at least once a day.

Latest posts