Dessicata is anorexic

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grip - I have no clinical evidence of dehydration. However, the dorsal section of his ab was concavely puckered. And, he drank an inordinate amount of H2O. Minutes after taking the water, the puckering filled back out. That's enough for me to conclude dehydration of some degree. Additionally, as aforementioned, he has not eaten any bugs or honey for nearly two weeks. Since mantids get much of their needed H2O from feeders, it's another point of concern for severe lack of normal hydration.
OK thanks. Maybe you should mist him outside the cage. This is just speculation but he may need more water without extra humidity. I say this because infections like humid wet conditions, but he also needs water to flush the infection out.

Just on the off chance that this is the cause, do any of these two mantids have brown or black near their mouths?

If someone's offended by this title, please give 'em a piece of pie. With ice cream.
Haha! If anyone is offended then by all means mods please edit the title. I have too many mantids to offer water by hand but I do spray them every day and am very careful to make sure to leave droplets in the enclosure and spray the mantids as well. I think dessicatas a problem was size of prey? It has just gobbled up the Chinese food. Which is good because I have had two other deliveries of Chinese food in the last 24 hours!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts