Dessicata mating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

more_rayne

Reaction score
Success! I tried to mate them last week, but it wasn't happening. The male would get on her but wouldn't do anything. He was only about a week into adulthood. So I tried again this week and it happened. Friday night, 6pm I put them together, an hour goes by with the male not doing anything but chilling on her back. I come back to check on them and I see them connected, but about 30 minutes later, I see them disconnected. At 11pm they were still disconnected. I decided to check on them one last time before heading to bed, there were connected! I wake up to find them still connected. I leave to run some errands and by the time I got home around 2pm they were done. I don't see the male, but I also don't see evidence of him being eaten. I hope he's just hiding in my room somewhere. I mate my mantids out in the open so the male has a better chance of escape.

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Thanks all, now I hope for ooth production. Those closeups gross me out, I don't enjoy looking an mantis innards :no: I did it in the name of science :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Best thing to do. Congratulations. Did you find the male yet?
Yes actually, I found him this morning hanging around a shelf :)

So, the female laid an ooth just one day after mating. What are the chances that this ooth will have been properly fertilized?

LOL double post!!! I cannot explain how happy I am!!! I love this species and cannot wait until some are available!!! :)