detailed mantis care and info

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humidity depends on species. Some species need more room to molt. Temperature depends on species. Some species seem to get egg bound easier for unknown reasons.

Lol not species. Like species in general but more detail.
Ummm... You can't have specific detail when you are asking such a general question. Either ask for a specific species and get a detailed/specific answer or you can ask a general question and get a vague/general answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
General care best shot I think I can do, assuming US climate:

Keep things warm, at least high 70s, maybe 80 degrees (F). Humidity should be 40-60%. Keep in mind 60% humidity in a 90 degree room is *very* swampy because hot air can hold more moisture and relative humidity is a measure of how close to "at capacity" the air is. So you basically want a muggy Florida swamp but no standing water - just vapor in the air. Then give a few droplets of standing water (spray bottle is fine, but only like a quarter squeeze slowly to produce drops and not mist) periodically for drinking and be responsive to the reaction. If the mantis drinks immediately you should start providing more standing water, and if they ignore it, then you can do it less frequently.

Now from that general concept, as you get closer to native species (or species native to places with weather close to the US) you want to drop the temp slightly and reduce the humidity - basically try to match outside during the summer. As you get more tropical, rainforest, etc you want to go up in both temp and humidity. For example an orchid (H. coronatus, tropical specie) would prefer 85 at 80%. A thistle (B.mendica, desert specie) is more happy with 95 at 30%. A native such as European (M. religiosa) would prefer that middle of the road I described at 77 at 50%. If you need to find an ideal temp/humidity for a specie, look up where it is native, then use a weather site to check the conditions in that area during spring/summer. Obviously they do alright where they are native, so matching those conditions you can't go wrong.

Latest posts