devils flower mantis care sheet

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyardvark

Reaction score
i heard that D.F.M need little humidity but high temperature... is this true, ive been looking al getting something a little more exotic and wondering what this species requirements are, would make a change to my Africans (and my hopefully soon arriving chineese nyphs),

oh and the tialand green mantid as well if anybody has any information, there doesnt seem to be much about

Cheers! :D

That's the problems that arise when popular names are applied badly... :wink:

I think the real one (I. diabolica) was meant in the caresheet.

Regards,

Christian

Well, that's a relatively new use:

There is in fact just one name: devil's flower. This is about 100 years old and has to be applied to Idolomantis diabolica only. However, I do not think I can change this unholy development, which was started by someone who sold mendica as diabolica some years ago, when there were no diabolica in stock. :?

In fact, there is no "giant" devil's flower. You just use it because someone wrongly applied "devil's flower" to mendica.

I do not intend, however, to fight some Don-Quijote-like battle, so everyone should know for himself if he wants to use the right name or the comfortable one. I for myself rely on scientific ones, those do not cause headache... :D

Regards,

Christian

Originally, the "true" Devils Flower Mantis was the Idolomantis, and the Thistle Mantis was the Blepharopsis Mendica.

But that has changed now I think...and the name of the species in the care sheet refers to the latin name at the top..

Cheers,

Ian

i totally agree about using the scientific names, they solve discrepancies just like this ( and usually sound cooler too! :) ). perhaps if whenever anyone on here uses the common name for Blepharopsis mendica we could all use 'Thistle mantis' instead and start the reversal of this occurence

High humidity??? I always thought they had to be kept dry (like the mendicas). I never sprayed directly on mine, just sprayed the floor of the cage once a day...

btw: mine are doing just great, subadult now (couple) and ready to shed for the last time :) Fingers crossed everyone :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

@Ian: are you breeding diabolicas for a long time yet?

Latest posts