Devils Flower mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausar318

Reaction score
I just bought a couple Devils Flower mantids (against my better judgement, I think), and I was just wondering if they really are as hard to rear as every caresheet says. I know that orchids are apparently pretty difficult, but I haven’t really had any issues with them. 

Anyway, all the caresheets talk about the overall insanity when it comes to these mantids, and that they’re hard to molt, hard to keep, and overall just a really difficult species. I’m sure that they are indeed difficult, but are they really that hard? I’m only getting two, as a bit of a test run, so I’m hoping that they do well. 

As always, any input is greatly appreciated!

They need high heat to do best. I am keeping mine at 92°F air temp and 72%  humidity which is not easy to do in Colorado. Last week the outside weather was at  12% humidity. I use both top and bottom heaters plus a heating pad between two tanks. Even with the Exo Terra tanks and the room temp is at 80 heat is lost fast. I have replace the wired screen at top with a molded windows screen so that their feet will not get trapped by the crossed wires screen.  Both the Wandering Violins and the two Devil Flower loves the Mossy Sticks on the top screen and the sides since both species can not climb glass. Also I added the Jungle Vines type, Green Vines-C and and  the Wandering Violins specially like it and the  different levels I created for them. The Devils Flower are using the green vines more as it gives their feet more surface area to grab on. My other smaller Devil Flower loves using the mossy sticks when capturing flies. To date I have not lost a single Devils Flower or Wandering Violins due to mis-molts. I am a bit surprised on how easy of a time that my Wandering Violins in molting. They eat breakfast and molt at noon and ready to eat that same evening. I have more of a issue in getting the Wandering Violins to coexist with each other no mater how well fed they are. My Devil Flower is doing very well and I heard that the final molt is specially difficult for the Devils Flower. I see what happens when the time comes.  

One of my Wandering Violins just molted to adult and a scuffle broke out and I put the meanie in a time out cube. Changed the tank arrangements around and put the meanie back in the main tank and everything is cool.  A trick I learned from raising fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @john57. That’s very helpful. 

Do you think you could upload a photo of you meet up? That would help clear up any misunderstandings I have of your setup. 

Thanks!

I have three Idolomantis and I have been very vigilant because I'm a bit freaked out by all I have read. I have a heat lamp on them , temps are high 85f-95f and I spray their cage once in the morning and twice at night.

The problem is the molting, two molted great and one did not. All same conditions. This happens to other mantids as well but I can't imagine what I would do differently. That said, I think they are pretty hardy. I don't think they are too skittish as I have read. Mine don't seem very stressed out from handling and I have one that seems to be pretty curious of me. All of them are in L3-L4 now and I hope I can raise them to full adult. My badly molted male is in my "special cares" unit and with one working arm, one missing leg and three half formed and half missing legs, he seems to be doing ok too. We shall see on his next molt. I stuck him upside down with tape and seems to be ok. Crossing my fingers.

Here is my proof of concept for the mossy stick  for the Exo Terra tall tank.  I put the sticks in the front half of the tank with different spacing to give the mantis a choice when growing up. It was intended for my baby Giraffe as it grow up since they have long legs. But in this case I have a dead leaf mantis and loves the stick and does not use the screen. You see the mantis on the right This would also be great for the Devil Flower as well.

IMG_20180926_002453.jpg

That’s a pretty nice setup. What are the measurements on that terrarium? I was thinking about taking a ten gallon aquarium (18x12x12, I think) and setting it up on its end, so it’s 18 inches tall, and 12 wide and deep. I would also basically wrap the inside with screen, so it would be able to move around pretty freely. I’d put some sticks/grabby surfaces in there for it, but not too many, so it could molt safely. 

Mom getting a male and female L3 pair, so I’m really hoping to be able to raise them both to adult. I’m pretty sure this is wishful thinking, but I’m allowed to dream ?

im coming to the table with only book-knowledge, so I appreciate both of your advice, @john57 and @Jaywo. I’m excited about them, but I’ve definitely prepared myself for them, I think. I appreciate the help!

@LamboMantisMan23

My goodness, that’s a good caresheet ?  Very descriptive and complete. 

Now about the humidity... ive never heard anything as absurd as what you said (but it actually does make sense)! And I say that in the most respectful, kind way that I can. I am genuinely intrigued by this, because 10-30% will be a LOT easier to maintain, as opposed to the 85-90% that ive read about elsewhere. I’ll probably keep them how you suggest, as it sounds like you’ve had a lot of good results with it. 

Out of curiosity, how did you figure this out, their humidity requirements? Did you experiment, or just accidentally find it out? Also, have you lost very many keeping them in the way you described?

@LamboMantisMan23

My goodness, that’s a good caresheet ?  Very descriptive and complete. 

Now about the humidity... ive never heard anything as absurd as what you said (but it actually does make sense)! And I say that in the most respectful, kind way that I can. I am genuinely intrigued by this, because 10-30% will be a LOT easier to maintain, as opposed to the 85-90% that ive read about elsewhere. I’ll probably keep them how you suggest, as it sounds like you’ve had a lot of good results with it. 

Out of curiosity, how did you figure this out, their humidity requirements? Did you experiment, or just accidentally find it out? Also, have you lost very many keeping them in the way you described?
80-90% is completely ridiculous. They live in the hot dry grasslands of West Africa. This was the first step to replicating what they need. They breed in cycles so the nymphs grow up during the dry season, then mate during the wet season. I was probably 80% replicating the wild and 20% experimentation. For my 4th and 5th gen, I haven't had a single loss other than a few 1st instars which is to be expected when hatched. Total number of deaths of larger specimens using these conditions has been 3. Compared to the 300+ Idolos I've raised, that's not a bad percentage. 

I would say that your results definitely support your caresheet! I was starting to get really worried about having to make their enclosure have a really high humidity. I think it will be a lot easier to keep them dry, at least until they’re subadult. 

I sure am glad that you posted this caresheet. It’s very helpful! I’ve bookmarked the website too, so I’m definitely going back to it for some caresheets!

I personally dunno if i ever will get one. The heat is to much of a hassle. All my mantids do well room temp and it was get dangerous and a bit annoying to have to have a heat lamp on all the time XD.