Diapause for an ooth.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I use the fridge for what its designed for to keep my food and beverages cold and outside is where all the nature stuff belongs or can keep the ooths in the garage if your like me but can insulate containers though to keep the ooths little warmer then the outside temps in the winter though in the garage as I think I am doing this right. I got a old xbox carry case that has a flap that can be clipped closed and I put inside that a dob kit and put the ooths I am trying to keep outside in the dob kit but they will have enough air being their in 32 oz deli cups and a quart jar with enough holes in the top for ventilation and put those in the dob kit bag and keeping them halfway in the bag so their lids are not closed up.I then close and snap flap shut on the xbox carry on case and keep that on a shelf in my garage and this is where I am keeping the iris ooths and hopefully these will diapause or whatever till spring and then I can hatch them also I had put a dish towel in the jar as well with a small like valley in one side of the towel in the jar where the a ooth fits in the valley and is not engulfed in the towel and thats what my plan is anyways and dont think my garage gets colder then the outside cause my pipes to my apartment are in the garage and if the garage gets too cold then my pipes would freeze and would be without water for my shower and sink so the ooths would be safe in my garage then just leaving them outside someplace!

http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312800/diapause.htm

Diapause is usually done by insects. It is a ‘sleep time’ that is different from hibernation because the animals do not grow during this time. There are two kinds of diapause:

Obligatory--a word that just means that the animal or insect MUST do this at some stage in its development. It has no choice.

Facultative--another big word that means the animal goes to 'sleep' because something bad is going to happen. This is different from other kinds of hibernation that happen AFTER something bad happens. With facultative diapause, the creature goes to sleep BEFORE the drought or cold weather.

Diapause is the way animals adapt to the world around them. It happens a lot in places where food or water are only there for a little while or the amount of food or water changes. It is a way for animals to live through droughts or lack of food.

Insects that stop growing have more of a chance to live if they can ‘sleep’ through the bad times and wake when things get better. The animals or insects might:

Be active in the spring and ‘sleep’ (be dormant) in the winter [temperate regions].

Be active in the rainy season and ‘sleep’ during drought [tropical areas].

The insects get warning signals a few times before they actually do anything about it. These warning signs might be:

Days becoming shorter. Animals can sense this and send out the message for ‘sleep’.

Outside temperature going lower than usual.

The quality or quantity of food goes down.

Long-day insects are the ones that go into diapause because the days get shorter. Short-day insects go into diapause when there are longer days. This is part of the genes in an animal.

After a few warning-signal days, the female will lay ‘diapausing’ eggs. These eggs will have their cycle from egg to adult stopped somewhere. Some examples of these ‘sleepers’ are:

Gypsy moth: diapause as fully formed embryo

Bombyx mori [silkworm]: diapause as early embryo

Grasshoppers: diapause in the middle of embryo stage

Some butterflies and moths: larvae

White cabbage butterfly: pupae

Colorado potato beetle: adult

Animals would become extinct without adapting to their habitats.

As much as i would like to leave my ooths in the garage, or in my yard. I have to many wild animals that have no problem making a snack out of my ooths. :(

you do know you can close the garage doors so nothing can get in unless their broken or something and now theres a thought!

Closed doors would prevent vermin infestation and I would think the ooths would still get the temps and such they need for the spring!

Nothing can get in my garage as all garage doors are closed and the door that leads to the outside from the garage as well is closed and nothing gets in or out unless someone like me forgets to close a door and I would suffer as well as leaving the door open means frozen pipes and no water for my bathroom (shower,sink and toilet)

I hit the road in an hour, so can't spend much time on this. Lunarstorm saw through my triick, though! It's great that folks are looking up diapause, but I saw nothing that covered Mantis religiosa which is unusual even among diapausing insects. I'll take a longer look atthis tonight or tomorrow. bon voyage, to me, dog, fffs and some favorite mantids!

you do know you can close the garage doors so nothing can get in unless their broken or something and now theres a thought!

Closed doors would prevent vermin infestation and I would think the ooths would still get the temps and such they need for the spring!

Nothing can get in my garage as all garage doors are closed and the door that leads to the outside from the garage as well is closed and nothing gets in or out unless someone like me forgets to close a door and I would suffer as well as leaving the door open means frozen pipes and no water for my bathroom (shower,sink and toilet)
My garage is detached. No matter what i do field mice always mange to set up housing every winter. I would put traps down, but then i feel bad. :( There just trying to say warm for the winter months. Racoons, Skunks, and Possums get the :2guns: :gun_bandana: :gunsmilie: :shuriken: :tank: :hang:

Then thats your problem not putting down traps and what not vermin and what not are not suppose to take up residence on a house or a garage what stays outside stays outside and if its not a pet then it does not belong inside or in ones property meaning house and garage and well I had my share of vermin over the years and whether its shooting them with pellet guns or drowning them in a bucket of water I do what it takes to get rid of pests and can sleep at night knowing I did a good thing!

Then thats your problem not putting down traps

well I had my share of vermin over the years and whether its shooting them with pellet guns or drowning them in a bucket of water I do what it takes to get rid of pests and can sleep at night knowing I did a good thing!
I suppose so! If they were in the house it would be one thing...

Gezz! dude! Drowning them seems a little excessive? No? :eek:

I probably should have mentioned we have a ton of stray cats. They sometime run into the garage. I would hate to have them eat poison, or get caught up in some glue trap. My girl would disown me if one of her kittens gets hurt!

Whoops! I'm sorry for being :eek:fftopic:

Massaman, how much light does your garage get? I have noticed Iris ooths are greatly affected by Photoperiod.

I keep mine in a net enclosure outside, zip tied to a patio chair. That way it gets all the outside light, humidity, and temperatures, and all my animal friends come and go without disturbing it. Plus, it's right there on my porch, so I can keep an eye on everything from my warm living room..

Last edited by a moderator:
well should of said chipmunks when I said drowning as we had bad case of chipmunks and well my garage dont get alot of light being there is no windows and only like a sliver of light can come through from the cracks of the garage doors when they meet the concrete and there prob would be no more light esp being in the xbox case either being that case is closed up and well there is some spots where light could get in but not much and the only time there is any light coming in is when I turn on the lights to take out the trash or the light of the outside when the garage doors are open when my mom puts her vehicle in the garage instead of leaving it outside so it is not getting a whole lot of light!

well wont have stray cats running inside if you keep the garage closed and problem solved and I do like animals but I know when a house and garage is meant for those who live their and not for the entire neighborhood wildlife to find refuge and its just common sense to keep doors closed when not in use esp a garage and well around here my dog and my moms are both pad trained so they never get outside and we have put poison out for mice and other rodents and just like to keep those out being you dont know what kind of diseases those could have and esp stray cats as well but as I said its common sense and do what you will but if you trying to keep a mantis ooth safe keeping it in a safe and closed environment where nothing can even get at it is best and you would think with all them cats hanging around anyways they would of taken care of the mice problem but what do I know!

NO ooth in the cold of a fridge or outside is in diapause.

If your mantids are from the US, they need the cold period. Even the ooths of US mantids will hatch at room temperature, so the answer is a definite yes to the first question and a qualified yes to the second. You did't follow that link I gave you, did you? :)
A long time ago I brought in one Asian Grass Mantis ootheca. It hatched out early. If I kept it outside the ootheca would have hatched later. And after that I kept another one out side. It hatched later. So I think the cold delayed the ootheca from hatching.

A long time ago I brought in one Asian Grass Mantis ootheca. It hatched out early. If I kept it outside the ootheca would have hatched later. And after that I kept another one out side. It hatched later. So I think the cold delayed the ootheca from hatching.
I read what you said. I thought the cold kept them from hatching. Do Chinese Mantids need a diapause?

photoperiod is important i think for mantids who diapause as nymphs. i think the only way we can solve exactly how diapause and photoperiod affect ootheca is buy doing an experiment.

here is what i am thinking:

get 6 fresh laid chinese ooths and split them up into 3 groups.

group A will be put in the refrigerator

group B will be kept outside

group C will be inside

all the ooths will be sprayed every other day

after_______ amount of time A and B groups will be taken inside and left to hatch.

data will be collected by how hardy the nymphs are and what the hatching rates are.

does this sound viable?

photoperiod is important i think for mantids who diapause as nymphs. i think the only way we can solve exactly how diapause and photoperiod affect ootheca is buy doing an experiment.

here is what i am thinking:

get 6 fresh laid chinese ooths and split them up into 3 groups.

group A will be put in the refrigerator

group B will be kept outside

group C will be inside

all the ooths will be sprayed every other day

after_______ amount of time A and B groups will be taken inside and left to hatch.

data will be collected by how hardy the nymphs are and what the hatching rates are.

does this sound viable?
sounds good. would be better if each group had multiple ooths. that way you get a accurate hatch ratio.

Latest posts