diapausing ooths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy bailey

Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to some information on species which require a diapause? Please! I`m trying different net searches but can`t find anything specific relating to Hierodula spp. It`s possible that my Nepalese Hieros are one of those species that `do` diapause and i`m wondering if the time period is fixed or if it`s possible to hurry them up in any way?

The species I`ve got is tentatively identified as Hierodula patellifera patellifera cf etc I `w/c -ed` an ooth from Nepal (Kathmandu) in april, raised 84 nymphs to adult (hard work!) , mated several and gave many pairs away to breeders. I`m left with 5 girls now who each churn out an ooth every 21 days. Anyone out there keeping a similar species? Cheers!

Far as I know Hierodula do not need a diapause. I am not expert though but know that every Hierodula I have ever kept didn't need it.

Far as I know Hierodula do not need a diapause. I am not expert though but know that every Hierodula I have ever kept didn't need it.
Graham (from Metamorphosis) has Taiwanese Hierodula patellifera that have a 16 week diapause. I`m waiting for some more info from him, so i`m just throwing this request out there...especially to members from Taiwan, India etc!

Graham (from Metamorphosis) has Taiwanese Hierodula patellifera that have a 16 week diapause. I`m waiting for some more info from him, so i`m just throwing this request out there...especially to members from Taiwan, India etc!
hmmm..... this is new 16 weeks incubating is a long period for this species. I have never overwinter ootheca of this species before i suppose you could 'prolong' the incubating time keeping it a little cooler (65F) but cold temperature (below 40F) will likely to cause more harm. I usually control the number of mated females or else i'll be swarm by number of ooth and eventually the hatchlings too.

hmmm..... this is new 16 weeks incubating is a long period for this species. I have never overwinter ootheca of this species before i suppose you could 'prolong' the incubating time keeping it a little cooler (65F) but cold temperature (below 40F) will likely to cause more harm. I usually control the number of mated females or else i'll be swarm by number of ooth and eventually the hatchlings too.
Yup! 16weeks+ , almost 4 whole months to the day! hatching in small batches. 3`s, 7`s, 20`s, that kinda thing. oh & i agree with limiting the number of mated females; but the original was a one-off ooth and I`ve distributed the progeny to breeders all over the UK along with surplus ooths....which are also now hatching! Another species in culture...A result! :D :)

Latest posts