Different types of fruit flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garin33

Reaction score
This question is especially aimed at the fruit fly experts like bugtrader and rebecca.

What is the purpose of the different fruit flies? I have regular black Hydei and Mels and understand the difference between those two. However, I've been reading about the golden versions as well as the gliders. As far as mantids go, what are the benefits or drawbacks of the gliders and goldens? Some websites say the production is different on the goldens and others say there is no difference at all.

Thanks for any input.

Production as far as the golden hydei vs black hydei is simply just based on your media, temps and humidity, They are the exact same species its just a visual thing for most, I prefer the black hydei due to when you add a supplement to them they lighten up and its easier to see if your supplements are coating the flies.

As far as Melanogaster there are a few species of them, two common are the wingless and the turkish gliders. Same size, just the gliders have wings, Again I prefer them because supplements stick to their wings well. Also you will find curly winged and golden delicious melanos but they arent as common. Turkish gliders are much less line bred and seem to culture a bit easier.

The last common species of FF around in culture would be the Buzzati, they are sized inbetween the other two and are slower moving flies that tend to not climb much. They are flightless as well.

Ive had them all and cultured them for many years, I wouldnt consider the fly species or subspecies to be whats important as far as what cultures better. Its all in the media quality, temps and humidity as well as the amount of light they get. Cultures kept in the dark tend to produce a bit more and faster. Some species mature slower than others but overall they all produce well in the right environment.

And as far as feeding the mantids we know every mantid feeds on certain bugs for a reason. In nature many rely on flying insects so I tend to think that the winged FF provide a more complete meal, there are nutrients in the wings "when eaten" of every insect that mantids do not benefit from when eating the wingless so I use the turkish gliders when I can then onto Hydei and HF.

Thank you Bugtrader, just the info I was looking for.

I didn't know the fact about how much light they got affecting the reproduction time, etc.

Thanks.

I like all three as the diff species of mantis can then have a fly for their size, or as I like to say, hey! eat someone your own size! :tt2:

The gold is nice in an enviroment where the sticks and things including the mantis are all darker, the gold hydei sticks out and is easier to see among them, I use the gold in my dead leafs housing. Now the black hydei is good in the idolos and lighter mantis housing as they also then stick out. or as goldielocks grannywolf puts it "the better to see you my dear"! Then we have the tiny mantis nymphs, like the miomantis, the mels are great as they are smallest of the 3 fruit flies and a really old culture will produce tiny, tiny mels! The gliders are great for the lazy mantis nymph, as the glider will aggraviate them and they move around a lot, so for the couch potato mantis, he will also find his food! ok, I'm done! ps, that why there are diff fruit flies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rebecca and bugtrader,

I now have a better understanding of golden, gliders, wingless and their uses.

FWIW

I'm raising black Hydei, gold Hydei, and Mels. Maybe it's just that the black ones stand out I have but I think the golds are slightly smaller than the black Hydei, kind of 'mid-sized'.

They are both hydei, any real size difference would probably be due to the golden hydei being much more inbred than blacks being their stock was much more limited in the beginning. Ive seen it both ways after years of culturing them without adding new stock/blood to the cultures.

I like all three as the diff species of mantis can then have a fly for their size, or as I like to say, hey! eat someone your own size! :tt2:

The gold is nice in an enviroment where the sticks and things including the mantis are all darker, the gold hydei sticks out and is easier to see among them, I use the gold in my dead leafs housing. Now the black hydei is good in the idolos and lighter mantis housing as they also then stick out. or as goldielocks grannywolf puts it "the better to see you my dear"! Then we have the tiny mantis nymphs, like the miomantis, the mels are great as they are smallest of the 3 fruit flies and a really old culture will produce tiny, tiny mels! The gliders are great for the lazy mantis nymph, as the glider will aggraviate them and they move around a lot, so for the couch potato mantis, he will also find his food! ok, I'm done! ps, that why there are diff fruit flies!
I've been wondering this, too! Thank you!

Latest posts