direct misting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clicker

Reaction score
Is it a problem to get a mantis slightly wet during misting?  I have an L5 giant Asian.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, please drop a note in the Introduce Yourself section for a proper introduction. :)

Nope not a problem. Some mantids like to get a little wet, while others act like they get injured (it is more of a personality quirk either way). Just mist the habitat itself, overspray is normal and of no concern, I just would not recommend directly misting a mantid.

Clicker,

Because it is quicker than an eyedropper, every morning I spray the forearms of all my mantids until I see a couple of drops forming, with the exception of my Ghost.  She does not appreciate it.  My other species, Sphodromantids, Hierodula, Double Shields, Budwings and Popa Spurcas all seem to anticipate their morning "lapping" drinks.  I use distilled water.  

One of life's simple pleasures is misting a mantis and watching it shake water droplets off its claws in disgust. That and the ones that attempt to catch the water as you mist them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heterochaeta often will try and catch the spray xD, but as long as the mantis isn't that little, a light spray on the mantis is hardly an issue :)  ooths however, should never be sprayed directly.

That should cause no harm. Mantids get rained on in the wild. It isn't necessary but won't cause any harm. 

My mantids are all adults---never tried misting their arms when small nor did I often offer them a drink from an eyedropper.  Using the eyedropper isn't hard, it is just hard on my back while I lean at odd angles while they drink.  The mantids are all in aquariums (3 sections per each 10 gal) and they are great to look at now and easy to drop food in, but awkward to have to reach and remain standing in that position.  That's just 'cuz I'm old and decrepid!

Regarding any mold issues, I have 2" of substrate in each aquarium and I have a bigger problem trying to keep it moist for the isopods.  I can't spray often enough so I now pour a cup of water (distilled) into the sections and allow it to be absorbed.  The isopods are thriving.  Never had mold.

Thanks, MantidBro.  They do seem to enjoy it and like Rick said---they get wet in the wild!

Latest posts