Discoloration When Pinning

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraMG

Reaction score
Is there a chemical or a specific way to pin or preserve to prevent discoloration of the mantid? I've pinned a few now and they all discolor pretty badly. Since I'm new at pinning, I didn't know if I was missing something! :lol:

Is there a chemical or a specific way to pin or preserve to prevent discoloration of the mantid? I've pinned a few now and they all discolor pretty badly. Since I'm new at pinning, I didn't know if I was missing something! :lol:
My favorite entomologist was chatting with me last night about the fact that her favorite cover-up cosmetic was being discontinued and mentioned that she had caught a mantispid and was going to pin it. I remember asking her advice about pinning mantids several years ago and she said,"I do it, but they always look like schist" So there you have it from an expert!. Incidentally I have a number of colored inks by Speedball, Vallejo and others (for my main hobby!) and have thought of experimenting with these. Taxidermists use coloring agents,

why shouldn't we?

why shouldn't we?
I'm not much of an artist :lol: It sucks because my creobroter pictipennis turned completely brown on her thorax, claws, and head and lost all the beautiful stripes that she had. My orchid female has turned brown too, although her head was already jacked up from the "black death" that killed her

As soon as the mantis is dead, put the mantis in a ventilated container, then stick it inside the freezer for a month or more. Most mantis turn black and rot soon if unattended after decease.

I have had good luck with pinning right after death and keeping the mantis in a cool closet. The closets in my house are pretty chilly this time of year so it works perfect.

Latest posts