Disfigured wings and leaking blue

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsea

Reaction score
PLEASE help! My Stryker had molted into adulthood. She had no previous malformations. BUT as an adult her wings are all assymetrical and the right wing is deformed and misshapen. I believe her wings did fully get pumped up but that they are deformed.

Does anyone know why????

NOW Stryker seems to have a small cut in the armpit (for lack of a better way to describe it) area of her left middle leg. The cut was leaking some blue liquid 2 days ago. I tried to gently wipe it. Yesterday I did not notice it leaking. Today I let her crawl about for a bit, and later noticed the blue liquid seeping again. I took a qtip and gently absorbed it (by slight blotting not wiping). There is some back stuff that seems to be hardened liquid (almost like dried blood would be in mammals). Do mantids bleed blue??? Because the wing (my T. sinensis all have blue lined wings) has so much blue, does this have anything to do with the right wing not developing?

The blue liquid is almost like windex or blue gatorade, as to what it looks like. My other post about disfigured wings has a video that shows her wings.

There must've been some circulatory malformation or damage in her wings that prevented successful expansion.

Insect hemolymph comes in a variety of colors and is usually green or greenish blue in mantises, but it can be a variety of colors depending on what pigments are present. The black material is like a scab--it's keeping the bleeding from continuing.

Thanks so much for your response. Is there anything I can do to stop the bleeding if it persists or starts again?

Could try honey on the cut/ wounded area. Probably about all you can do...

but I'm only going off what I've seen/ read from off the forum. Sorry couldn't be much help.

Once it has scabbed over, it should be alright unless there's something more wrong with her. If it continues to bleed, there's something wrong with her ability to clot and stop her own bleeding and may have additional problems in the future.
I would avoid honey on an open wound that isn't clotting on its own as it would draw moisture out of the mantis and may make things worse.

Make sure to give her plenty of water to drink to replace the fluids she is loosing. If it looks like the wound is slowly clotting on its own I would leave it be. If it keeps seeping I would use a dab of super glue as a last resort to prevent her from bleeding out. It can be very effective at closing the area but there is always a risk it could trap an infection on the inside. You also have to be super careful when applying that nothing sticks to the area, including her own limbs until it is dry. It dries quickly but if something gets stuck to the area it will be stuck good.

She has not bled since, and I have not let her have roaming time lately. It seems to have stopped. Of course, her wings will always be assymetrical and the 1 deformed but she is a fighter. And also eating and drinking good.

Latest posts