Dividing an Exo Terra?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantibama

Reaction score
I'm going to start up again with some plastic containers. However, I have a cool idea that I was considering if someone has a good suggestion for how to best go about it. I'd really like a nice display, and while in the pet store today I noticed some exo terras and thought they were very appealing. I was thinking I could get a 12x12x12 and put a glass divider in the middle, but I want it to be removable. That way I can house a male and female and not worry about cannabalism, but when I want them to breed I could remove the divider and not have to worry about having a separate breeding container.

I have a couple of concerns though. Would halving the 12x12x12 still be sufficiently large enough to house two D. lobatas? Also, is the total volume large enough to "safely" use for breeding? Finally, if this would work, what would be the best way for me to have the divider nice and stable so it does not tip over onto one of my mantids but wouldn't be permanently fixed to the terrarium so I could remove it?

I don't know if you really want to use glass or are open to other options... but when I have had fish give birth I divided the tank off to let the babies have a section (rather that a breeder box but made from the same meshy stuff). I just stuck it on with suction cups. This will probably work and be inexpensive and easily removable, to top it off I doubt it will injure the mantis if it did fall which is probably less likely because it is lighter and stuck on.

As for if it is big enough, you will need to ask someone who has had them before, cool idea though if you make it post some pictures.

I thought about doing the same a while back with one of my exo terras for when my orchids get bigger.

You might want to think about using plexiglass...cheaper, lighter, easier to fit, more flexible...etc

Hot glue should do the trick but whatever you use to seal it in if you do make sure its non toxic, so it doesnt harm anyone.

Ive not had Lobatas before, but the 12x12x12 exo terra SHOULD be plenty of room for them, my idolos live in the same cage untill they are L6-L7 then I move them to one of the 12x12x18s that I have. Usually a safe measure for any mantis is 3 times the length of the mantis for the height of the cage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts