DIY Complete mantid habitat construction tutorial guide

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very VERY well put together Thomas, this is sure to help all the newcomers. :)
Thanks, there is likely enough there for "oldtimers" to learn something too. ;) In that regard if anyone see's something that is missing or needs fixed send me a PM or a post, and I'll add/change it if I can.

Thank you very much!
No problem Kevin I hope it helps, I know when I started off I looked for something like this myself. After you started asking some more specific questions I figured it was time to get one put up here. So thank you too for the questions to get me started on it. :D

Thanks to this post i have successfully screened in all my mantis containers and created the ketchup bottle easy feeder.

gotta love these posts!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice post, I'm sure this will help a lot of people looking to do it themselves. I'm curious since you mention using aluminum mesh for Tenodera sinensis for escape reasons, have you ever had a mantis chew out of a cage? I've never experienced anything like that using net cages myself. I have however had mantises injure themselves in aluminum mesh. After a mantis got its claw stuck and would have likely ripped its arm off trying to free itself if I hadn't been there, I stopped using it all together. It is also the only material that has caused eye rub spots for me.

Nice post, I'm sure this will help a lot of people looking to do it themselves. I'm curious since you mention using aluminum mesh for Tenodera sinensis for escape reasons, have you ever had a mantis chew out of a cage? I've never experienced anything like that using net cages myself. I have however had mantises injure themselves in aluminum mesh. After a mantis got its claw stuck and would have likely ripped its arm off trying to free itself if I hadn't been there, I stopped using it all together. It is also the only material that has caused eye rub spots for me.
Thanks, it needs updated and the links to the posts seemed to have quit working since the forum update. Another thing I need to update when I can. :)

Indeed some males especially when they get in their breeding mode searching for a mate will often start biting their mesh to escape. I haven't had one successfully escape, but there has been damage done to the plastic/fiberglass mesh.

In regards to mantid damage aluminum mesh can lead to problems, but I've had mantids have issues with plastic/fiberglass mesh as well. It tends to be older mantids and seems when they are reaching the stage where they seem to fall apart when it does happen. In that instance the aluminum mesh could cause more issue as they would be unable to bite through to free themselves.

Eye rubbing issues I've had a few that did it on the plastic container sides and even sticks actually. One wild collected Chinese (Tenodera sinensis) female did a spastic fit and rubbed/smacked all over her container after being added to her habitat. So far I've had only three with eye rubbing issues, and that was before I used aluminum mesh. I guess it could make it happen quicker, but haven't had that problem thankfully. ;)

Thanks, it needs updated and the links to the posts seemed to have quit working since the forum update. Another thing I need to update when I can. :)

Indeed some males especially when they get in their breeding mode searching for a mate will often start biting their mesh to escape. I haven't had one successfully escape, but there has been damage done to the plastic/fiberglass mesh.

In regards to mantid damage aluminum mesh can lead to problems, but I've had mantids have issues with plastic/fiberglass mesh as well. It tends to be older mantids and seems when they are reaching the stage where they seem to fall apart when it does happen. In that instance the aluminum mesh could cause more issue as they would be unable to bite through to free themselves.

Eye rubbing issues I've had a few that did it on the plastic container sides and even sticks actually. One wild collected Chinese (Tenodera sinensis) female did a spastic fit and rubbed/smacked all over her container after being added to her habitat. So far I've had only three with eye rubbing issues, and that was before I used aluminum mesh. I guess it could make it happen quicker, but haven't had that problem thankfully. ;)
Ah that reminds me I do remember seeing some other users posting about the males biting at the cages. I wonder if size of the enclosure can play a part. I tend to use larger cages, so my males often end up flying/hopping from side to side. Some of the smaller enclosures I've seen people use look like they would be maddening for a boy needing to roam. Often if I catch one of mine especially riled up I will pop them into one of my three footer cages so they really have room. They tend to look less frantic that way, and far less likely to pop the tips of their hooks springing repeatedly from one wall to then next.

I strictly use the soft netting for my mantises. I avoid the thicker plastic mesh and the like for the same reason I avoid the aluminum. With my mantises the eye-rubs happened in a travel cage I made using aluminum screen. The second time it happened on a trip it dawned on me I never had that problem with my net cages and promptly switched back. Admittedly the mantises were Tenodera sinensis and they are the most headfirst mantis species I've ever seen. If they can't get somewhere they want to go they attempt to plow through it headfirst no questions asked.

Both of the mantises I witnessed get caught in my aluminum mesh cages were older females. They tend to get more clumsy and a lot of the heavier/larger species will start to use their claw tips like ice picks to help get around at times. The one girl managed to pop her claw back out after a bit of struggle, the other wasn't getting loose. I had to actually bend the wire some freeing her.

Another advantage to the harder plastic/aluminum mesh though is if a female lays an ootheca on it, cleanup is easy. With the net cages you can pull the ootheca off easily enough but there will be an infused looking stain ingrained in the netting left behind. It is harmless, but doesn't look aesthetically the best.

If I purchase some silk plants from my local store do I need to do anything to them before putting them in my enclosure(clean them or sanitize them?) Lol, I know they aren't alive, but bacteria lives on anything and everything, just curious if it's safe just to put it straight in the enclosure, thanks! (I think I may be a germaphobe...) 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I purchase some silk plants from my local store do I need to do anything to them before putting them in my enclosure(clean them or sanitize them?) Lol, I know they aren't alive, but bacteria lives on anything and everything, just curious if it's safe just to put it straight in the enclosure, thanks! (I think I may be a germaphobe...) 
I can't claim a lot of experience or expertise here,  but you could probably rinse them in a mild soapy water to get rid of any industrial chemicals or lubricants that may be on the plastic, but it is probably fine.

I think it would be highly unlikely you'd get mold or bacterial infection from plastic plants unless they have been used in an aquarium or other terrarium first. If so, a mild bleach soak would take care of it. 

Ah that reminds me I do remember seeing some other users posting about the males biting at the cages. I wonder if size of the enclosure can play a part. I tend to use larger cages, so my males often end up flying/hopping from side to side. Some of the smaller enclosures I've seen people use look like they would be maddening for a boy needing to roam. Often if I catch one of mine especially riled up I will pop them into one of my three footer cages so they really have room. They tend to look less frantic that way, and far less likely to pop the tips of their hooks springing repeatedly from one wall to then next.

I strictly use the soft netting for my mantises. I avoid the thicker plastic mesh and the like for the same reason I avoid the aluminum. With my mantises the eye-rubs happened in a travel cage I made using aluminum screen. The second time it happened on a trip it dawned on me I never had that problem with my net cages and promptly switched back. Admittedly the mantises were Tenodera sinensis and they are the most headfirst mantis species I've ever seen. If they can't get somewhere they want to go they attempt to plow through it headfirst no questions asked.

Both of the mantises I witnessed get caught in my aluminum mesh cages were older females. They tend to get more clumsy and a lot of the heavier/larger species will start to use their claw tips like ice picks to help get around at times. The one girl managed to pop her claw back out after a bit of struggle, the other wasn't getting loose. I had to actually bend the wire some freeing her.

Another advantage to the harder plastic/aluminum mesh though is if a female lays an ootheca on it, cleanup is easy. With the net cages you can pull the ootheca off easily enough but there will be an infused looking stain ingrained in the netting left behind. It is harmless, but doesn't look aesthetically the best.
Sounds like a good idea to transfer them to a larger habitat when they are in that state. I've done it a few times myself with recently captured specimens too to make the experience less stressful for them.

Indeed ooths on the plastic/fiberglass mesh can be removed with some effort but always leave behind a visible "stain". I've found even after cleaning it can permently discolor it, I guess it is something in the ooth material as it hardens.

You can clean them but I haven't found it necessary; although, rinsing them under hot water wouldn't hurt. The only thing to avoid is the scented varieties offered at some stores as the chemicals would harm your mantid.

5.1 - Sterilizing decorative items

For most items you find and collect from your backyard, a park, nearby wooded area, or even from inside your house - they should be sterilized to some degree for safety. As many items will contain various insects already, or their eggs, which can be a problem for you and your mantid. This includes leaf litter, dirt, sticks/branches/twigs/logs, rocks, and more.

I realize many keepers don't bother to sterilize their objects, but I've encounter several problems when I haven't done it. As such I'd recommend you sterilize your items to avoid the problems I've had, or worse, too.

For example I collected leaf litter, and removed foreign matter and gave it a good check for insects. I then added it to my isopod colony (Armadillidium nasatum). Later I found a centipede was in the leaf litter, and it nearly ate all of my isopod colony before I discovered it.

Another recent example is a old gnarly 3" (7.6cm) branch that I found and added to my millipedes tank. Even after sterilizing, oven baking for about 3 hours, there must have been a spider inside it that survived. As after a few days in the millipede habitat I noticed spider webs in the branch holes.

There are four basic methods that will work, and of course some are more effective than others depending on the item(s) to be sterilized. They are...

Before starting any of the methods it is recommended to do a basic cleaning to get off excess dirt, loose bark, grass clippings, and such (unless it is dirt to sterilize obviously, then you want to pick out foreign matter). A small brush such as a finger nail brush or tooth brush is of great help.

If you combine a few methods of sterilizing it should further ensure it is clean. Such as oven baking the item(s), and then freezing them.

Also some members report success with sterilizing with a microwave oven, but doesn't seem to be common so I really don't know much of the results. In that regard, a microwave oven is sometimes used as well to dry the sterilized item(s) - especially useful after boiling the item(s) in water.
Microwave radiation is an excellent method for sterilization.  Any hiding critter - even the tiniest (including many strains of bacteria) will be killed.  The radiation excites water molecules to boiling in seconds.  You just have to watch wood sticks, plastics and such to prevent combustion or melting.

Last edited by a moderator:
How often should I clean my mantis cage with substrate at the bottom?
Probably depends of you have critters in there to houseclean. Ive had bad luck with mated females in repurposed fish tanks with substrate. Maybe something nasty that lives in the coco and isnt affected by springtails.

Latest posts